Violin care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gongylus can complete their lifecycle without a single drop of water and a 40 to 60% humidity level.

What i do is have them (3 L4's) in a 12" net cube, with twigs, and kept at about 100 degrees give or take a degree. I put flies in and it's done! I keep them at 80-86 at night, is that right? Or should i just cut the heat and let it drop to 72 degrees? also i mist them once a day but with the net cubes i feel like the moisture just leaves right away, and doesn't even give the mantises humidity?
I have a big problem with low humidity in the winter.

The solution is a good quality humidifier (the cold vapor kind).

The home heating dries the air.

My wife loves it very cold in our home, it stays around 75/74 during the summer and Around 77 in the winter. And all of my mantids seem to do great without any additional heat source. I have a presub adult female violin, a pair of adult carolinas, 2 L3 popa spurca, 6 ghost, and 1 lineola. With our home being so cold all summer, it has extended my violins life i would say. It has been almost 4 months since her last molt. She even has a healthy appetite, she never skips a single day of feeding. She usually eats 2 crickets a day, and somtimes 2 to 3 moths.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife loves it very cold in our home, it stays around 75/74 during the summer and Around 77 in the winter. And all of my mantids seem to do great without any additional heat source. I have a presub adult female violin, a pair of adult carolinas, 2 L3 popa spurca, 6 ghost, and 1 lineola. With our home being so cold all summer, it has extended my violins life i would say. It has been almost 4 months since her last molt. She even has a healthy appetite, she never skips a single day of feeding. She usually eats 2 crickets a day, and somtimes 2 to 3 moths.
i used to keep them at 73 and it would take them two months to molt, now they are at 99 degrees and molt every and month or three weeks.

I have a big problem with low humidity in the winter.

The solution is a good quality humidifier (the cold vapor kind).

The home heating dries the air.
They do not need high level of humidity,They can be fine at around 40% without a single drop of water during their lifecycle.

My 2 nymphs L4 and L5 seem to be much happier since I transfered them to a 12''

net cube and gave them an overhead heat lamp.

Seems like they really like all that room to be happy!!

Before, they were very jumpy and would run around, like nervous.

Now they are calm and just hang happily from the top of the cube all day just being mellow :)

Latest posts