Vomit after meal or wax worm?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced their mantid vomit after a meal or wax warm? 2 nights ago I gave my healthy female adult mantid a worm. I can't remember which one I gave her though. (I fed 5 others). I think it was a meal worm. She vomited last night, and now looks ill. she will not eat or take water.

The mealworms seem like they don't have enough juice in them. Could she have just been dehydrated?

The wax worms are turning brown. I'm trying to only feed the white ones. Does anyone know if brown wax worms are bad?

Sometimes I drop the worms. I try to clean them as good as I can, but maybe not good enough.

Honey and tons of water will help.

I dont know why your mantis could be ill. I personally just started using wax worms. So far my mantises aren't sick.

I mainly feed all my mantises meal worms. (also a mix of wax worms, flys, moths, and other insects) and 1/200 chance they get sick. If they do i change the food.

feed the meal worms slices of cucumbers. That works the best for me.

The brown wax worms are getting ready to become moths, unless they are squishy, then throw them out they are rotting. keep the hard brown ones, in few days

you will have moths to feed the mantis.

The cucumbers are working. But now that this happened, I throw out all the worms after a week. I've never had problems with worms before. I wish I could find just one feeder that I knew would always be safe.

I am so sad about my dying mantid. She is such a sweetheart. I saved her from a storm with her sister when she was a nymph. At least her sister is still healthy.

I've raised mealworms for over 10 years to feed the birds. I do give them to my mantids occasionally and never had an issue. I haven't had the best of luck with waxworms. They were either store bought or from the mail. I no longer use them.

UGGHH!!!! I just found another sick mantid from the worms. She had more food in her stomach to begin with, so it took her longer to get sick. I found vomit and she has diarrhea. She won't take food. My other one is almost dead. Her eyes are all black and her abdomen is bloated. It has to be bacterial. I think I'm gonna try a small amount of amoxicillin. At this point I can't hurt her more than I already have.

What do I feed them!!?

snapshot_20150228_141624.jpg