Vomit, Substrate, Diarrhea, or ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
In two of my many mantis nymph cups (50+ cups) at the moment, I have two cups that have some streaks on the mesh lids mostly. One that are in the photos below shows the streaks both on the side and mesh lid.

Both affected cups are of my Carolina nymphs (Stagmomantis carolina) that I hatched from a wild ooth I found. They are currently L3 nymphs, and hatched back on January 4th.

The one pictured below, had this on their original cup as well at various times from L1 to it's current state of L3. As the nymphs continued to live and molt I didn't give it much thought; however, now I am curious what it is.

The nymphs are both very active, and eat and drink often (Hydei fruit flies), showing no signs of any problems. Due to the fine particles in the streak I thought it may be the coconut fiber substrate that is in the nymph cups. Perhaps from the water misting and it gets dragged around by the mantis or the Hydei flies.

So does anyone know if the streaks are vomit, coconut substrate, diarrhea, or what?

l3-health1.jpg

l3-health2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it may be diarrhea... But hard to really tell. Personally I don't think its substrate. I use cocofiber as well and have yet to see blown around substrate stick in such an odd way...let alone the lid of the enclosure.

I'd keep an eye on those select ones with this, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the responses. I'll do one better and just make new cups for the two nymphs. I am getting some honey later today too. ;)

Make sure its real honey, all natural. Don't get any of that manmade mass produced fake stuff. No additives =)
No worries, just got back home with some. It's 100% natural Clover honey - large bottle that will go bad before I could possibly feed it all to them. :D

I fed all my L2 and L3 nymphs, if they refused to eat it off a toothpick I smeared a small drop beside their perch. The ones with the brown streaks I made sure they got a bit on their raptor forelegs and smeared a bit by their perches too. One ate from the toothpick and ran to the smear and ate a bunch more. ;)

I don't think honey goes bad... Could be wrong.

Glad to hear they're taking the honey though. Maybe try putting a small dot of honey in a deli cup and feed the prey honey before they're fed off... Kinda like a prefeeding-feeding chamber, for feeders =)

I don't know if that would help or do anything at all... But I suppose it couldn't hurt to try?

its vomit, this seems to happen sometimes. I believe its due to excess humidity. Maybe too much moisture in their cups. Though i could be wrong.

Hey all, reading this with interest, prevention is key and I'm a complete newb, just curious as to why and what the honey does?

I guess we should be asking: Does the substance have a smell?
thats a good question, does it smell vinegarish?
It doesn't have a smell other than the typical light coconut smell. I tried many other various nymph cups too and there is no noticeable difference between them.
help2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a colloidal silver solution will help.

Spray the mantis generously and watch for dark spots on the mantis abdomen and face. Apply the solution with a qtip immediately if there is any discoloration. Ive had mantids bounce back from the 'black death', cut ground prey out of the diet temporarily, give honey and fruit. Thoroughly clean container with dish soap and water. Keep mantis well hydrated but keep the enclosure dry.

Hey all, reading this with interest, prevention is key and I'm a complete newb, just curious as to why and what the honey does?
The honey is a source of food when mantises are unable to eat, or as a treat, giving them a boost of strength. The honey acts like a natural antibiotic. There are many instances of using honey to help mantises recover their health - you can search for more examples.

I think a colloidal silver solution will help.

Spray the mantis generously and watch for dark spots on the mantis abdomen and face. Apply the solution with a qtip immediately if there is any discoloration. Ive had mantids bounce back from the 'black death', cut ground prey out of the diet temporarily, give honey and fruit. Thoroughly clean container with dish soap and water. Keep mantis well hydrated but keep the enclosure dry.
Alright thanks for the tips, and I will keep the habitat dry.

With the colloidal silver, what are you spraying them with? Do you spray the mantid with water and then look for discoloration? You are letting the water create a discoloration and then treating it with the silver? Or are you spraying with the silver.

I was always afraid to give the silver because I've seen it kill everything in a petri dish. There is a big problem with getting a solution that is actually colloidal though. After three months, my biochem professor told me that the solution is no longer colloidal and does not work as well.

Have you ever given the silver internally to the mantid?

With the colloidal silver, what are you spraying them with? Do you spray the mantid with water and then look for discoloration? You are letting the water create a discoloration and then treating it with the silver? Or are you spraying with the silver.

I was always afraid to give the silver because I've seen it kill everything in a petri dish. There is a big problem with getting a solution that is actually colloidal though. After three months, my biochem professor told me that the solution is no longer colloidal and does not work as well.

Have you ever given the silver internally to the mantid?
Never got around to trying it myself. After feeding them honey for several days, and no luck searching for the colloidal silver, it cleared up. Perhaps bobericc can respond.