Vomiting Problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kinda light brown/clear with black specks in it, and a little bit smelly. Sometimes its just a little spit up but most of the time she'll puke a fair bit up for at least 5-10 minutes.
How much food/size of the prey item do you tend to feed her in one sitting and how often do you normally feed her?

Sorry to hear I hope she gets better! I would try tea and flies.
Why on earth are you suggesting tea?

Because tea contains antioxidants and can help, despite what others may claim. Ive used it several times now myself and have never had any issues. Same with honey or honey water mix.

I know how some members feel about foreign foods/drinks. However sometimes you've got to do what you can to either help your pet back to health or put it down.

Because tea contains antioxidants and can help, despite what others may claim. Ive used it several times now myself and have never had any issues. Same with honey or honey water mix.

I know how some members feel about foreign foods/drinks. However sometimes you've got to do what you can to either help your pet back to health or put it down.
Exactly

Ive given all of mine tea for years, they drink it as if its water, theres are no negative side effects, if anything there are positive ones

And many teas also contain plants that are touted as being natural insect repellents . . .

Dark chocolate in moderation is good for people. It is also a good treat for your pet rat that can help with a couple of health issues. On the other hand, it is toxic to and can kill your dog.

It sounds risky offering an unatuarl food source as a healthy remedy to someone else without some sort of proof or validity of its safety. Have there been any studies done on tea with mantises? Has there been a topic on its usage in the mantis hobby? This is the first time I've even seen people suggesting it.

I'm not even sure what would be the big draw to using it in this case when things are pointing to a deformity issue not some sort of bacterial infection or such.

That's why you study the boxes before going to purchase, just as honey. The thread is directed towards vomiting, judging by the photo uploaded id doubt its deformity related.

As far as proof.. Well, the only proof I can personally provide is proof that my mantids still live and long after multi tea feeds.

My Childs fed my dog chocolate many times, both dark and regular. The only effect at most was an upset stomach. Completely off topic, but I do not believe that.

Edit: I'm not telling him to do it, I simply implied them as options that I personally have used (except the baby food...) and also friends have used without having an issue. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
And many teas also contain plants that are touted as being natural insect repellents . . .

Dark chocolate in moderation is good for people. It is also a good treat for your pet rat that can help with a couple of health issues. On the other hand, it is toxic to and can kill your dog.

It sounds risky offering an unatuarl food source as a healthy remedy to someone else without some sort of proof or validity of its safety. Have there been any studies done on tea with mantises? Has there been a topic on its usage in the mantis hobby? This is the first time I've even seen people suggesting it.

I'm not even sure what would be the big draw to using it in this case when things are pointing to a deformity issue not some sort of bacterial infection or such.
I have been giving mine tea for years, ive had mantids living 11, 12, 13 months. Its not detrimental.

That's why you study the boxes before going to purchase, just as honey. The thread is directed towards vomiting, judging by the photo uploaded id doubt its deformity related.

As far as proof.. Well, the only proof I can personally provide is proof that my mantids still live and long after multi tea feeds.

My Childs fed my dog chocolate many times, both dark and regular. The only effect at most was an upset stomach. Completely off topic, but I do not believe that.

Edit: I'm not telling him to do it, I simply implied them as options that I personally have used (except the baby food...) and also friends have used without having an issue. :D
I was told chocolate can kill cats too, mine had diarrhea, thats it, then was better.

That's actually the danger of solely going off of personal stories. Your dog seemed okay so you deem it as safe. It's not, its toxic to dogs. There have been actual studies on this. It's not good for them, and can and does kill.

You didn't state any particular type of tea so very vague instructions when encouraging someone to try it. Perhaps it would be interesting to start a topic on this since it seems others have used tea.

As for the photo, I'm not sure what you see, but to me the female looks very deformed. Her body is twisted from the bad molt. The fact she is puking shortly after eating and it is light, not dark and rancid, implies to me it is far more likely a problem with the track sinching somewhere along the line making a normal meal back up and causing her body to react as if something is wrong.

Krissim Klaw, I normally give her a full size roach (which she normally only eats half of) each morning and night.
Do you know the species? Full size can mean different things depending on what species it is.

My advice would be to see if decreasing the feeder size helps. The fact she drops her meals part way is a sign she is getting more than her body can handle in one sitting. First I would give her a day or two off with just water, to clear out her system. Then start small. You mentioned having house flies so you could try one house fly. See if she vomits any that day. If not, the next day you could try upping it to 2 house flies in one sitting. Slowly up the amount until you hit her threshold and vomit appears again.

Sorry, the cockroach species is Periplaneta Australasiae (Australian Cockroach).

Thanks for the advice, I'll start with small amounts of food and see how she goes.

I'm sorry, the veterinary must not know much about dogs then... And apparently some of us seem to know it all.

Like ive stated krissim, these are optional choices given by those whom have used them without issue. Why your sitting there and trying to instigate some sort of altercation is beyond me and really not worth the time of feeding into it.

What I seen in the photo is yes, a mismolted mantid. However judging by the view provided you cannot positively id the puking being linked to a deformation in the stomach region. Sorry if ive offended you in some way... Not that it matters.

Its his mantis, I gave my opinion with those that have helped me or friends.

"I know how some members feel about foreign foods/drinks. However sometimes you've got to do what you can to either help your pet back to health or put it down..."

I'm sorry, the veterinary must not know much about dogs then... And apparently some of us seem to know it all.

Like ive stated krissim, these are optional choices given by those whom have used them without issue. Why your sitting there and trying to instigate some sort of altercation is beyond me and really not worth the time of feeding into it.

What I seen in the photo is yes, a mismolted mantid. However judging by the view provided you cannot positively id the puking being linked to a deformation in the stomach region. Sorry if ive offended you in some way... Not that it matters.

Its his mantis, I gave my opinion with those that have helped me or friends.

"I know how some members feel about foreign foods/drinks. However sometimes you've got to do what you can to either help your pet back to health or put it down..."
Agreed

Sorry, the cockroach species is Periplaneta Australasiae (Australian Cockroach).

Thanks for the advice, I'll start with small amounts of food and see how she goes.
Oh wow, two adult roaches a day would be a lot for any mantis. Female mantises will try to take in whatever they can in a meal, because in the wild they could very well go days before their next meal. Sometimes I think this backfires for our captive mantises because there is no shortage of food. I know you are worried about ootheca production, but there is no need to feed that much every day.

Roaches do make for great feeders though. Since you don't seem to have a problem with them you might want to consider starting up your own breeder colony. There are a lot of easy species to culture and this will provide you with multple sizes of nymphs to adults so you can adjust the size depending on the the individual needs of your mantises.

I hope the smaller meal sizes end up helping your girl out.

Thanks guys, I've been feeding her smaller meals and so far she has had no problems keeping it down. I'll keep you updated with her progress.
Yay, glad to hear she is doing better. Please do keep us all updated. :D

Oh wow, two adult roaches a day would be a lot for any mantis. Female mantises will try to take in whatever they can in a meal, because in the wild they could very well go days before their next meal. Sometimes I think this backfires for our captive mantises because there is no shortage of food. I know you are worried about ootheca production, but there is no need to feed that much every day.

Roaches do make for great feeders though. Since you don't seem to have a problem with them you might want to consider starting up your own breeder colony. There are a lot of easy species to culture and this will provide you with multple sizes of nymphs to adults so you can adjust the size depending on the the individual needs of your mantises.

I hope the smaller meal sizes end up helping your girl out.
Agreed and double agreed. If you have access to roaches you should consider starting a colony. Come cold months or food shortages you'll be thankful you had.

Glad she's turn for the better, keep us updated. ;)

Agreed and double agreed. If you have access to roaches you should consider starting a colony. Come cold months or food shortages you'll be thankful you had.

Glad she's turn for the better, keep us updated. ;)
Yes, there is a certain satisfaction in having a breeder tank brimming with feeders and knowing you don't have to try to catch anything or buy food if you don't feel like it. The feeders can also be rather fun to watch and keep as pets in their own right.

Latest posts