Wahlbergii ooth hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickfraser

Reaction score
I received an "insurance" ooth when ordering some nymphs and thought it was "past due". Today, when I went in to spritz, I noticed 1 nymph had hatched.

How does a wahlbergii ooth usually hatch? Is it a burst hatching or a staggered hatching over a few days? I'm hoping staggered and hope to see more soon.

I had this happen witha chinese ooth. About 12 hours later the rest emerged. Give it 24 hours, then re-evaluate accordingly.

Mine have always been within about an hour of each other.

I've suspected that putting an ooth on with hot glue that's still a little TOO hot, could kill the nymphs within (especially with flower mantid ooths that are small and thin).

Patrickfraser, what did your p. wahlbergii ooth look like? Was it similar in color to Creo ooths (if you're familiar with them)? My first female that molted to an adult over a month ago laid an ooth the same day that she mated, and it was a really dark and ugly ooth. I haven't googled to see if I can find any ooth images, but my guess is this one is not fertile.

Oh, I mated her with a different male the other day. She and the male were connected in the missionary position. Precarious said that I should have photographed it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Later I found him in the "normal" position.

I had a few discolored Creo ooths, but there didn't seem to be any correlation between color/shape and fertility, Not sure if it was dietary, either. Since they ate the same things. Be interesting to track.

their ooths are dark in color, not light brown. keep it in incubation-mode lol.. for a much longer time, you never know! hope more come out for you!

Latest posts