Walking around with mantises?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athicks

Reaction score
Is it okay to walk around with the mantis? Sometimes, what I do is go outside and look for a few bugs for it while it is with me (on a twig) so that the mantis can catch the bug itself (I put the mantis near the bug and it is better at catching flying prey than I am). Sometimes it can be really hard to get it food, esp since the mantis is tiny (body is about an inch long) and the only bugs around my house small enough for it are the flying ones.

So is walking around with the mantis for maybe 10 minutes okay?

Thanks!

one of my mantids have a problem when I try to feed it so I let it out on my balcony and it will catch bugs by itself within an hour I'll bring it back in so I guess its ok

i always walk around with her thats the only way she eats is when im holding her because she livfes in a plant and i walk her outside to catch moths sometimes...its fine

If you're not afraid of losing it, then no problem. I'd only be concerned about losing adult males, especially orchids. Anyway, you won't really harm the environment unless you lose a fertilized female. Then, there will be a little chance of harming the environment.

I do it on warm wind free days but when they are adults I stop as I couldn't let them fly away.

From my experience, I would only reccomend carrying heavily fed adult females (or specimens smaller without fully formed wings). Ususally when they are weighted, they cannot fly.