Want to breed pink S. Californicas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arkanis,

I suspect that pink male is really a brown male with some reddish hues. I have seen quite a few of those in southern California. But pink is not a color I have personally seen.

S-

Yea I was thinking the same thing.....I have one tht looks very similiar to that but is def. not pink lol. I was thinking like pink like on an orchid mantis or something.

Not pink like an orchid mantis - more like a tan with strong pink-peach hues. - yes, more PEACH than pink - but with green under legs. If that is a natural color of this type of mantis that would be excellent. A friend of mine in Pasadena remarked he had also seen pink mantids in some bush on his property - perhaps these are endemic to the area. I have mostly found S. Californica in Zinnias and Roses - all green. I have one of those spiky trees with giant pink and white blooms - the trees that have these Kapok seed pods. Anyways, i have thought that the flower canopy of these trees would be an excellent habitat for colonies of mantids - i wonder if they like those... anyone know? Perhaps the pink one we caught came from there

~Arkanis

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually we found out these are S. Limbata, not S. Californica, lol. So my aunt called me yesterday and mentioned the peach colored mantis she had seen in her yard - so i guess these do exist around pasadena - that is the third one i have heard about here.

I hatched an S. limbata ooth last year. I did end up with a single pink/peach-ish colored female and also an ivory/cream male. I did mate them. The male did get eaten. Then the female fattened up, and died! No ooth laid. All the other nymphs from that ooth developed into "standard" colors like brown, tan and green.