• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wanted: Abedus herberti - Ferocious Water Bugs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos

Reaction score
I am looking for adults or nymphs of the Ferocious water bug Abedus herberti. I need enough to breed, this should be 2 pairs of adults or 6 - 8 nymphs.

I heard they are common in creeks in some parts of the US. I live in the Netherlands and we don't have them here at all. I think sending them to Europe will not be a problem because they are very strong and hardy.

I can pay for them or trade them for praying mantids: nymphs or ooths of species like P. paradoxa, R. basalis, S. lineola, H. membranacea or S. pretiosa.

do u have pic of them? I have a lot of water bugs in my lake, they swim around like crazy ants, very fast , about the size of a pea and black.

Thanks for the PM!

This is a picture of a male carrying eggs (yes it's the males that care for the eggs):

6105.jpg

SCI99b15N10_H02_008161.jpg

they are like the mantids of the lake, because they also have raptorial arms and prey on other insects.

After all this time the water bugs still have not arrived. When I call the post office here in Holland with the bar code Andrew send me, they tell me the parcel has not entered Holland yet and Andrew should contact his post office. I do not hear from him much anymore.

I have paid 80 dollars for these bugs, which is a lot to me! Do any of you have any idea how to arrange this? I want all my money back, because I asked who could deliver me the bugs, he said he could and now I have nothing. Not even dead bugs in a parcel... I would not know if they existed even!

After all this time the water bugs still have not arrived. When I call the post office here in Holland with the bar code Andrew send me, they tell me the parcel has not entered Holland yet and Andrew should contact his post office. I do not hear from him much anymore. I have paid 80 dollars for these bugs, which is a lot to me! Do any of you have any idea how to arrange this? I want all my money back, because I asked who could deliver me the bugs, he said he could and now I have nothing. Not even dead bugs in a parcel... I would not know if they existed even!
If you had these mailed Express, Google <usps tracking> and then enter the number that you were given and you will get a record of the checkpoints that it has gone through. My guess is that the last entry will say something like "entered customs." Dutch Customs officers will have seen a large number of critters moving around when they scanned the package, opened it, gassed the critters and then resealed the package. Andrew should get them back, if he requested that they be returned if undelivered, within the next few months. If you smuggle, you have to be prepared to lose your investment.

Kakistos,

The appropriate place to post feedback for ABbuggin is in the feedback forum at the link below.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3611

Please note that discussions on these matters is not appropriate in sales threads or feedback sections. The feedback sections are provided not for discussion, but to document actual experiences based on specific transactions only. Please PM me with any questions.

If you had these mailed Express, Google <usps tracking> and then enter the number that you were given and you will get a record of the checkpoints that it has gone through. My guess is that the last entry will say something like "entered customs." Dutch Customs officers will have seen a large number of critters moving around when they scanned the package, opened it, gassed the critters and then resealed the package. Andrew should get them back, if he requested that they be returned if undelivered, within the next few months. If you smuggle, you have to be prepared to lose your investment.
I don't know with which company these bugs were shipped, i just asked for someone to deliver me these bugs and Andrew said he could do it.

I called Dutch post customs about the parcel and they tracked the number, and said it did not arrive in the Netherlands at all.

I did not smuggle anything, it is not illegal to transport bugs to the Netherlands. Maybe the shipping company that Andrew worked with has it's own policy to not transport live animals... but i don't know anything about that. It is his responsibility to send the parcel in an adequate way.

Well this is my last post in this topic, we can continue in the breeder feedback topic as suggested by the moderator.

I will admit that I have been a bit slow with replies, but that is mainly due to me being gone for over a week. In my defense, the bugs made it all the way to Holland (tracking showed it) but it didn't pass customs. How am I supposed to be responsible for that? I made sure it was clear before I shipped that it was at kakistos's own risk. It would be stupid to guarantee anything going international. Now I would like to clear things up, whether its my fault or not, so I'll re-collect the bugs for free and just charge shipping. ;)

Latest posts