• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wanted: Paratoxodera cornicollis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaddock

Reaction score
Ha! I just thought I'd throw it out there... Anyone???

:)

kareeda5.jpg

What the heck is that? Did you make that or is it really a mantid? Pretty crazy looking for sure ;)

UPDATE: i just googled it! That one is INSANE!!! i love that mantid too now

Last edited by a moderator:
So, after all that coyness in the "picture" and "age" threads, there you are in all your glory! Congratulations, great loincloth, too!

Now at least, if anyone takes ######'s advice in Henry VI Part II, you'll be able to defend yourself. :D

Haha! It seems that our editor detests "old playwrights" as much as Rob! Let's see if it will accept "Di*k." There we go!

Oh, what a mantis. Those are pretty much the only photos I've found of any paratoxodera species. You're not very likely to find any outside of Borneo, as they're apparently very difficult to raise (you can imagine how difficult a molt could be) and somewhat rare in Borneo anyway. Those mantids and Boreno's legendary phasmids have made me start seriously considering going to Borneo for overseas study in college or something.

If you find any, though, please share!

People sometimes get the one or other specimen. It doesn't help though, as most die after a few days. This is definitely a taxon (there are 3 genera with several species) which should be left to experienced people. Ever wondered why there are never small nymphs shown? Because noone ever came so far. Most mantid enthusiasts aren't even able to deal with Idolomantis, which is rather easy compared to those ones. The fewer people know something about the natural habits of Toxodera & Co., the better... We see where knowing the ooth led to in case of Idolomantis. Toxos are just too rare to end as an overexploited species despite of available captive bred specimens as in the case of the latter. So better continue to breed your ghost and flower mantids and let stuff like this to those guys who know what they're doing. ;)
Oh, what a mantis. Those are pretty much the only photos I've found of any paratoxodera species. You're not very likely to find any outside of Borneo, as they're apparently very difficult to raise (you can imagine how difficult a molt could be) and somewhat rare in Borneo anyway. Those mantids and Boreno's legendary phasmids have made me start seriously considering going to Borneo for overseas study in college or something.If you find any, though, please share!
I don't even think anyone has had one molt most won't even eat in captivity from what I've read on here anyways.

There are several posts on these ones. One important thing is that most pics are wrongly labelled. The ones with the bent pronotum are Toxodera, those with a straight one Paratoxodera. They occur im most parts of S-East Asia, but are rare to find. I visited Borneo three times without seeing one. The rest I have to say was kindly posted by "bassist".

What the heck is that? Did you make that or is it really a mantid? Pretty crazy looking for sure ;) UPDATE: i just googled it! That one is INSANE!!! i love that mantid too now
Wanna save up and go to Borneo with me? :p

I don't even think anyone has had one molt most won't even eat in captivity from what I've read on here anyways.
Thanks Tommy :(

Check out these pictures, or this picture of an adult or these pictures of metal replicas of adult paratoxodera cornicollis. :eek:

This mantis is just insane!!!

Latest posts