Wanting Garden mantis in Canada, is it possible?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13424

Reaction score
Hey there!

Just joined, newbie to here & also the mantis world. Joining more on behalf of my mom but also me because I’m interested in this as well!

We live in Saskatchewan, Canada & we are hoping to get some praying mantis for the garden to be a natural pest control compared to using pesticides 🤢
We don’t know much about this at all & wouldn’t be keeping them as pets.. even though I know we will be trying to name them and love them ahaha! 💜

Is it even possible to get them here for this reason & does anyone have info on where.. we can get them?

Thanks so so much in advance, I hope i posted this question in the right thread! Been a minute since I’ve hopped onto a forum 🌹

Hey there!

Just joined, newbie to here & also the mantis world. Joining more on behalf of my mom but also me because I’m interested in this as well!

We live in Saskatchewan, Canada & we are hoping to get some praying mantis for the garden to be a natural pest control compared to using pesticides 🤢
We don’t know much about this at all & wouldn’t be keeping them as pets.. even though I know we will be trying to name them and love them ahaha! 💜

Is it even possible to get them here for this reason & does anyone have info on where.. we can get them?

Thanks so so much in advance, I hope i posted this question in the right thread! Been a minute since I’ve hopped onto a forum 🌹
The only native mantis to Canada is Litaneutria minor (British Columbia) so it would be the only mantis you could order from the U.S I believe. As for pest control, mantises are a poor choice. In reality, mantises are generalists. They'll eat your pests sure, but they'll also eat bees, butterflies, moths, and flies. Those are important pollinators and beneficial insects. I recommend looking into other forms of pest control. Especially if it gets cold where you live.

European mantises are invasive in parts of Canada. Maybe you can try raising those in the harsh winter climate of Canada where you are?

Wasps, ants, and birds would be more effective at controlling insect pests in your climate. Put up a bunch of wren houses and don’t freak out about wasp and ant nests in your yard.