Warm Weather = Insects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 degrees! WOOT WOOT. Break out the shorts and tank top. It was a nice 65 at my house today. Gave me a chance to let my chams out for some natural sun. :cool2:

Yeah it was about 68 outside today, I let the idolos out :D

...hes a messy eater :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut-up it was 30ish today with wind chill. I hate you SoCal people so much some times.

This is very unusual weather for northern Illinois. I'm back in school and going to transfer to Southern Illinois, Southern California or Tampa Florida next semester. I can't stand the cold. The farther from norhtern winters the better.

It is warm where I am too. But there are not many bugs. There are a few crickets, flies and wolf spiders. We have many plants outside.

Yeah, once I got some budwings long ago I had to keep them going, so I keep breeding them just to have some around, the mini Hulk's of the mantis world(mine are extra green to boot).

It's 28 degrees right now. I just got back with dinner with friends and drove home with snow falling. It's hard to complain about the weather though as we had quite a mild winter here in Minnesota with very little snow. It's been so mild that my photo opportunity with the swans that overwinter nearby ended about a month earlier than previous years.

Mvalenz, I've been seeing boxelder bugs in the house for about a week now. You are welcome to come and collect them all if you want....

Thanks Tammy, but I'll have plenty as soon as it stays warm for more than a few days. My garage door gets over run with them. Have you tried to feed them to your matids? Not every mantis likes them though.

Couple days last week it was near 80 here.

Thanks Tammy, but I'll have plenty as soon as it stays warm for more than a few days. My garage door gets over run with them. Have you tried to feed them to your matids? Not every mantis likes them though.
No, I haven't tried to feed them to my mantids. Someone gave me a couple of adult female budwings once, and when I had them, I remember they ate almost anything. I raise darkling beetles (mealworms) and find that the majority of my mantids will not eat them in the adult (beetle) stage. A couple of my Texas Unicorns will eat them. A few others will eat them if I feed them before they harden. So that's why I have tried feeding them to my mantids.

I've been doing the crazy lady on the porch with the chair and the cup catching moths thing again.... man do my bugs LOVE moths!

Here in TN we're seeing 70s this week, the daffodils have been up for a month, and today I noticed redbuds, magnolias, pears and plums blooming, and the spring peepers are singing. I love spring.

Latest posts