wasps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I can agree with you on that since wasps have their stingers. I've had cases when wasps stung my mantids when I was too lazy to remove their stingers.
As i said, mantids need to be at least 3 times bigger than the wasp to be safe. Even so your wasp might have been a sniper because the only weak spot of a mantis when it grabs its meal is its neck since it's the only soft tissue in that body area. Even if it stings the venom will only paralyze the mantis for a few hours before it recovers. smaller mantids however, might die.

Btw, what i mentioned about "wasps being the least dangerous food i gave" i mean from my experience. I don't know what species you have. I know some are very small and wont do very well hunting wasps. The species i keep measure about 3 inches (7cm) in length when fully grown. So for them a wasp or a bee isn't a threat at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have given mine the large paper wasps and ground bees and did not phase the mantis at all in eating it and they just love the bumblebees even if they are somewhat small. I have fed them the smaller males and the larger bees as well and of course parasitic wasps are not a threat being they only after the ooths. They may pose little threat if they are allowed to roam and fly freely of course but they are othwerwise harmless

In this case, I'm afraid, the mantises may be right. Look at the universal yellow and black radiation sign:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Radiation_warning_symbol.svg/80px-Radiation_warning_symbol.svg.png , and compare it with this pic of a european wasp's face: BLXZ9LFLBLIZOL7Z0HGRDLMZKH5R1LMZOL2RLH8RLH0ZVLKZOLXZSH7R3Z6RFZSRFZKR2LMRJZIR9L

A bit too close to be a coincidence, don't you think?
Have you submitted that to the government yet? That is the greatest proof of weapons of mass destruction I have seen yet. I fear war between us and the wasps is now inevitable. All subadult and adult mantises between the ages of 1-4 months please think about enlisting. Your country needs you. :tank:

the parasitic flies should be the enemy combatants but even a mantis needs back up!

Latest posts