Water dish in enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
About once or twice a week I will sit down with a paint brush dipped in water and hand feed water droplets to my mantids. They love it, and if they don't I wipe the water on their claws so they will lick it off! But I'm wondering if they would go to a water dish if I put a small on in there? Does anyone else leave water dishes out and seen the mantis drink from them? I just wonder if I'm dehydrating them frequently. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use a water dish since mantids get most of their water from the prey they eat. Misting the sides of the enclosure a couple of times a week works well and provides the water needed. If you do decide to use a dish, be aware that it will raise the humidity level slightly depending on the size. Also, make sure the water is always clean and free of poop or any other debris just to be on the safe side. 

Watering with a paint brush sounds like a great way to bond. 😁

From what I've heard so far, misting is the best method for mantises because it provides a reasonable amount of water to drink, humidifies their enclosure, and moisturizes mantis' bodies which makes it easier to slip out of their old skin during molts.

Nymphs i've received arrived thirsty.

I mist the cups they arrive in, and they go straight for the droplets. They know if they're thirsty.

They also get water from their prey. Having said that, I can't imagine FF are very "wet". Misting at suggested intervals combined with what they take in with their prey ought provide the water they need.

I often saw our adult M. religiosa drink water from foliage after misting.

When in doubt, a soaked qtip or brush can be offered but some nymphs are scared of anything large like that put in front of them.

Just what I've observed.

Overmisting can cause respiratory problems though. Make sure they have adequate air circulation. 

@Todomantis I read in Orin's book that the water they need for molting comes from within. Spraying them down won't  necessarily help.

I keep hygrometers in the enclosures where humidity beyond ambient RH levels is critical. I was surprised to find that my "eyeballing" was way too wet.

My bugs weren't molting as expected and the day I cut back on the misting and allowed air circulation for droplets to dry up somewhere around 30 mins after misting (as per Orin's book), the molting began. Three succesful molts in two days.  Maybe coincidental, but it implies they don't like it too wet. That was three different sp.

@hysteresis Oh wow that's a lot of information I've never even thought about before. I've only just raised my first mantis to adulthood last week though😅. The additional temperature and humidity requirements are the reason I am hesitant to take on a more challenging species right now!😩

@Todomantis The H. venosa like it humid (60% +).

That being said, the bug shouldn't soak in an enclosure that always has drops on the sides. I mist daily. Our house is usually at 40%. I keep a cotton pad hung on the side that I wet as required. I allow droplets from misting to linger for 30 to 60 minutes.  Any longer than that and I allow more access to ambient air. My hygrometer readings linger in the 60 to 75% range.

I keep my R. megaera nymphs under the same regime.

I barely do anything with.my M. caffra nymphs. They like it dry. I mist them daily too, but just a quick puff. I keep those with a cotton pad at the bottom of their jars. The pads are kept somewhere from a almost dry to dry. RH stays under 50%.

This is all good information guys thanks. I think I will start misting their enclosure more heavily when I do in fact mist. The humidity stays around 50% when I do mist, for about an hour. After that it's between 35-40% which I'm not a fan of. I will try slightly dampening the substrate.

I just mist the sides of the enclosure and any foliage within. If I don't see them drinking for a few days, I give the mantids themselves a light mist. That way the drink water drop off their raptorials. 

I just mist the sides of the enclosure and any foliage within. If I don't see them drinking for a few days, I give the mantids themselves a light mist. That way the drink water drop off their raptorials. 
I mist them the same way. Drink your water boys!

This morning, I misted my newly molted Mio's enclosure. I literally saw him lower his mouth to the glass and sweep side to side. You could see the areas he had cleared of droplets.

When they are thirsty, they know how to get it.

Latest posts