Water scorpion care sheet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
Species: Ranatra fusca and Abedus sp.

Description: Water scorpions are aquatic predators that are found worldwide. These predatory insects will feed on just about anything that moves, at least if it is in the accurate size range. They are equipped with mantis like arms and sharp gripping legs. They are also equipped with a sharp rostrum for stabbing and paralyzing prey. They are often found in lakes, rivers and ponds.

Caging: Abedus water bugs are aggressive and cannibalistic species and will attack a sibling whenever given the chance. I caught around 10 and most cannibalized. They become less cannibalistic as adults. I keep them individually in a medium sized cricket keep with some leaf litter at the top and a large rock at them bottom for hiding. With my experience, Abedus can be kept with Ranatra communally. Ranatras are a generally uncannibalistic species. They too are kept in a medium sized cricket keep.

Feeding: Abedus will eat anything up to their size. Currently, mine cannibalize as much as they eat crickets. They will also eat minnows or guppies from the pet store. Ranatra seem to feed well only on aquatic life. Ranatras and Abedus are both sit and wait predators, but abedus is more willing to viciously attack food while ranatra seems more timid.

Breeding: Since sexing is very difficult for water scorpions, breeding is nearly impossible. I have no experience breeding so don't ask me :no:

In conclusion, water scorpions are interesting and rewarding species to keep. Being very similar to mantids, (except aquatic) these are ideal for insect keepers of all trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
FORGOT TO MENTION!!!

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

If you decide to keep water scorpions, BE VERY CAREFUL.

They can give a nasty bite if provoked. So just be cautious whenever you have to handle it, if the occasion ever arises

Latest posts