Ways to combat lack of appetite and vomiting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZorak

Reaction score
I recently bought a hestiasula sp boxer mantis and it died within a week. It had molted during shipping and also vomited (the less threatening brown vomit). It seemed generally OK, I had put it in a 32 oz deli cup and it was visably drinking water spray over the week I had it, but was rejecting food. It vomited once more after arrival, but stopped after that. Then, a couple days ago, I found that it had simply keeled over. 

Is it a case of just being a fragile, particularly small mantis? This is my first time experiencing winter shipping, should mortality rates be very expected even with heat packs? 

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like black death, caused by bad feeders, usually crix. The vomit color can range from pale brown to dark black, and usually has an odor. If the nymph had been a bit bigger and stronger, it could have been saved by watered-down honey, which has antibiotic properties. Young nymphs do not usually pull through though. 

This can be prevented by feeding healthy insects, and making sure no mold is in the cage of the feeder or the mantis. 

It also could have been an injury during molting, but I find that less likely, as most molting injuries kill or cripple the mantis immediately. 

- MantisGirl13 

If you got it from deShawn aka mantidkingdom, I doubt that bad feeders were the issue. As for the cause, I'm not entirely sure what happened but sometimes a nymph will get sick for what seems like no apparent reason. Also, there is always a risk with shipping during extreme weather. I remember once I chose express for some creobroter sp. and one came dead while the other was alive, albeit acting a bit odd. I tried feeding it and while it did eat, it didn't really have any interest in eating and eventually keeled over. Also, although boxers tend to be hardier, smaller nymphs or smaller species in general tend to be very fragile.

If mantid has trouble with digestion it will often vomit. Sometimes it's feeders and sometimes the mantid overeats or actualy eats faster than it can digest the food. I think it's best to feed mantids in the warmer time of day if you can but sometimes just hard to do. You can increase temp by a few degrees and make sure it has water farley regular. A lot of mantids can live in room temp but may have issue digesting some prey items and increasing temp seems to help sick ones. Also confirm your mantid is pooping regularly the easiest way to notice it may have a issue.