weird dark grey caterpillar like thing in my cricket tub

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the larva stage of the cricket.
ToiletClaw.gif

Shame on you Chase! :D It's probably a beetle larva Becky. Keep a few in a jar with some cric food and tell us what they turn into!
hmm i might do actually :p

im curious.

i don't have any cricket food though, i just use crushed up wheatbix and give them a carrot.

Shame on you Chase! :D It's probably a beetle larva Becky. Keep a few in a jar with some cric food and tell us what they turn into!
That's exactly what it is. It's the larvae of the dermstid beetle more that likely. These things are all in the cricket tubs at the museum I work at....we need a better cricket supplier. <_<

Not sure, but I know that they feed or cricket chow, thier exoskeletons, and their dead bodies. They are harmless to mantids, but mantids are harmful to them. ;)
woo it matched google images :)

thanks.

i might aswel keep them in there then.

do they take ages to turn into a beetle?

woo it matched google images :) thanks.

i might aswel keep them in there then.

do they take ages to turn into a beetle?
No! You'll soon have tiny beetles frisking around. I could never persuade a mantis to eat one, though. Often, they come in with the crix.

Last edited by a moderator:
The beetles flyand will fly out of the container when you open it so watch out for that.

That is what I was going to type but the swamp gas and the moon light not to mention the low flying airplane.... made it look like i typed something different.
EmbarrassedBaghead.gif
AbductedbyAlienSpacecraft.gif

Latest posts