Weird liquid and now scab in female ghost

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
My hyperactive male somehow managed to claw and scratch my female because what I thought was just a bit of water in between her leg joints turned out to be some hemolymph. It looks like it dried but there’s definitely some sort of opaque, dried substance in her limbs. Should I be concnerned about this at all?

Here’s a pic if it helps

142EEBCE-172E-47BF-A47C-E2C34A8217C5.jpeg

This happened to my female ghost too! I don't actually know what it is, but she lived alone and it started happening after her 2nd or 3rd (unfertilized) ooth..... it didn't seem to impact her health in any way, and she lived a really long time, so I wouldn't be too worried! 

@hibiscusmile lol. @mantisfan101 it is the crystals on her wing cases. Kind of like butterflies but mantids have stronger ones. Although hard to scratch off, a raptor would do the job. I have seen it on my female from scratching herself on a twig. So you got your hands on a male?!

@hibiscusmile lol. @mantisfan101 it is the crystals on her wing cases. Kind of like butterflies but mantids have stronger ones. Although hard to scratch off, a raptor would do the job. I have seen it on my female from scratching herself on a twig. So you got your hands on a male?!
Not meaning to discourage, but mantids do not have scales on their wings like a butterfly. The thin film you are seeing is dried hemolymph, or insect blood, which scabs up after a tiny puncture, which happens frequently in mating.

If she's acting normal, then she is fine.

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts