Weird molt issue on a Mantis religiosa (F)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantid-Tim

Reaction score
So I have been raising some European mantises. They are great friendly little gals for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure. Anyway I have two females. One subadult (Phi) and the other (Pi) just had her adult molt. She came out looking perfectly normal about a day after the molt when I checked on her. The only thing I can say I noticed was that her wings were still just a little bit visible under her closed tegmina. This isn't that out of the ordinary anyway.... So, the next day she is in the position you see in the photos. She has been like this for just about 2 whole days now. I closed her tegmina by hand and they do close, but she opens them back up again anyway--seemingly this is voluntary. I am sure it is not a big issue, as females (especially in captivity) don't really need their wings anyway. I just thought if she's like this permanently it can make walking, hunting, and climbing a bit awkward.

Any tips or advice? Has anyone even seen this before specifically, lol? It just seemed to me a strange, but hopefully/probably a trivial, problem. 

(I couldn't make the pictures small enough to post here directly, so I uploaded them to a reddit post, you can see them there)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mantids/comments/opnjzt/my_european_mantis_fhad_her_adult_molt_about_3/

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see any images, but if the wings are a little ruffled, it shouldn't cause too many issues
Its not that they are ruffled. Her wings are closed but her tegmina are fully open about 45-degrees to her thorax. It seems she physically can close them, but for some reason insists on keeping them fully open. 

Has anyone even heard of this?

(Also if you go to the reddit page and then click on the photos they open up.)

Freed up some space to upload the pics here... 

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Latest posts