weird orange/black growth on my mantid's mandible??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ems08d

Reaction score
I tried to take a picture of it, but it didn't come out very good. It's brownish-orange with black specks. At first I thought it meant she was going to die, but she has had it for a couple of weeks now and seems fine. I thought it could be some kind of parasite (like a ribbonworm), but I can't find anything on google that looks even remotely similar. Does anyone have a clue??

It's the black thing sticking off of the left of her mouth in the photo.

IMG_8137 copy.jpg

When I saw the thread title I figured it was just a part of the mouth with color. Many mantids have colored areas around the mouth. However looking at the pic it does appear to be abnormal. Highly doubt it is a parasite. Does the mantis eat normally? Either way there isn't much you can do. It is hard to tell exactly what is going on in the pic though.

You picture reminds me of the "water mite parasite" on damselflies. Google it to look at the pictures.

@ Rick: It's definitely not something that used to be there. She eats normally, though.

@Ntsees: It does look very similar. I wonder if that's what it is...