Went hunting. No mantids, but found these!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraMG

Reaction score
IMGP6170.jpg

IMGP6160.jpg

IMGP6156.jpg

IMGP6155.jpg

IMGP6147.jpg

I found a grasshopper once that was about to die. I fed it to my mantis. I like grasshoppers a lot. I figured that he might as well contribute a last bit to society before he died. Circle of life =P

Are you planning on keeping that hopper? If so how do you plan on doing so?

Hooray for Zorak - grasshopper hunter extraordinaire!

I guess you didn't have to remove the back legs after all. Zorak's favorite part is probably the drum sticks anyway. :lol:

Both are banded wing grasshoppers. The green ones are especially beautiful. I usually see these fly around in May, never quite figured out how they get to adult so early. Sometimes around this time I find their nymphs, they look like the nymphs of Carolina grasshoppers only green. The blue legs of the brown male are quite striking, never saw that before!

Both are banded wing grasshoppers. The green ones are especially beautiful. I usually see these fly around in May, never quite figured out how they get to adult so early. Sometimes around this time I find their nymphs, they look like the nymphs of Carolina grasshoppers only green. The blue legs of the brown male are quite striking, never saw that before!
Thanks for the information! The green one turned out to be a female, because she laid an ootheca before she was consumed! I've left it in the enclosure and it's gotten a misting every day. It would be super interesting to have nymphs for those little things! I found blue legs all over the place after these guys were consumed...
ohmy.gif

My mantids like to leave the blue tibias behind when they eat those hoppers. :lol: The ones around here don't have as much blue as yours, the blue is only in the middle of the tibia. Yours have a completely blue tibia, very pretty.

Latest posts