went mantis hunting =D

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dracomancer

Reaction score
so i was bored out of my mind this morning and ventured into my backyard, went onto the side of my house where all the overly long grass is (its the desert we like any kind of grass when we have it!) and saw somethin move...looked and it was a teeny tiny green nymph..green! a color we dont get in the desert all that much..so..i caught the little fellow ran into th ehouse and dragged out my inventory of jars..hoping for good luck...well in 20 minutes i had captured 6 more of those nymphs..an adult female european(yellow like the other one i have) and unidentified green mantis about an inch and a half long...coulda swore it was european but doesnt have the black rings on its arms and is adorned with orange and yellow along with its normal light mint green coloring, theres still ALOT more out there...atleast 30 from what i saw walking through one small spot..on my way in i saw another nymph on my pant leg o_O looked at it and its green european nymph..he has the rings..all in all a fine hunt...will get pictures up once everyone is settled and has eaten

well heres a rather bad pic of the sub adult i captured(damn camera phone) also ignore my messy room...its what happens when you have more pets then mantids residing in ones room lol

Photo-0279.jpg

Sweet, that's a good sized mantis! Looks like a European. What city you in?

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a possibility to its a stagmomantis limbata or a californica but wait till it is a adult to be sure!

Awesome! I wish I could find mantids like that! I don't have the eye for it. Sounds like you could breed yourself a mantis army out of your backyard!

there is a possibility that it could be a Iris oratoria as well they dont have long wings either!

there is a possibility that it could be a Iris oratoria as well they dont have long wings either!
well whatever they are, i really like em...very lovely little mantids..i most likely have a couple pairs out of the ammount i caught today so i will breed em once they grow up and will post ooths and nymphs here on the forum in the classifieds if anyone wants any lol

well heres a rather bad pic of the sub adult i captured(damn camera phone) also ignore my messy room...its what happens when you have more pets then mantids residing in ones room lol

Photo-0279.jpg
That is not a subadult, it has wings. An adult female Iris oratoria, usually about 2 inches long.

I have yet to get out. I should though here soon. September is really our best month though.

Good find!

I have been finding many here too lately! We have four large Limbata nymphs now!

I keep trying to find a male, they all look female to me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts