What about feeding lady bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry i stated ladybugs were in the Stinkbug family, my information came from the largest collector and seller of ladybugs in the U.S. so I didn't question the validity of the statement!

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

Thanks that was very informative about the grasshoppers. I remember them swarming when I was a kid, many moons ago :lol: . Some of mine eat the grasshoppers, which I think are more here in my yard than grass. But most back up like I am trying to poison them. Funny, Whenever one eats something other than a fly I thank God that it took it. The Devil flower mantis are the worse to feed. I pray every time I give them something. :roll:

Nick is a little bit right, I think he's reffering to the family of insects that secrete a smelly odor or liquid because ladybugs DO this

I heard that lady bugs have some kind of toxin to keep things from eating them. Maybe the mantis can sense the toxin and therefore won't attack.By the way, be very careful if you're going to use meat to attract flies. You can introduce a lot of bacteria to your mantis.
Its not so much a toxin as a foul tasting liquid. Pick one (dont let it crawl) up sometime and smell your finger. If your daring taste it. Do it all the time with fireflies. By accident. :oops: But like the others said these particular little beetles are too small or the mantids know not to eat them(?) cuz of the color.(possiblity?)

Ladybugs are not a good food source for two reasons. The ladybugs' structure makes it hard to for the mantid to grab, and they are a member of the stinkbug family, so their defence is releasing pungent odors when threatened. Cute they are, but not as a food source.CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

www.mantisplace.com
ladybugs are not a member of the stinkbug family. they aren't even bugs to begin with.
WEll "true bugs" are the kind of bugs that literally suck out the juices of their prey such as water scorpions, assassins, etc. Other bugs that EAT literly, are not "true bugs". Dont believe me? Google it! :lol:

Yum. Now I'm tempted. People eat bitter stuff like mustard so I'm sure ladybugs can be useful as a taste somehow too.
when i was younger i would play with them and get that stuff all over my hands

i would then eat sandwiches

they were delicious

with the exception of the sudden stains of ladybug juice in the bread when i would grab them i enjoyed that meal

it tastes nothing like mustard

Latest posts