what about hornet larvae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
well what about feeding a mantis the developing larvae of a hornet as a food source say like the grub stage or such!

The trick to getting wasp or hornet nest is you have to take it to the ground in the first hit then leave it alone for a few minutes then go collect your bounty. :p

seems like a waste just to get some larvae..... plus the wasps will still be in and around it buzzing around

Sure. Or you could feed what most of us feed, roaches, flies, crickets, etc.

now that summer is almost here i just hunt for insects outside and hope i can find some decent flies or something to feed my mantids

now that summer is almost here i just hunt for insects outside and hope i can find some decent flies or something to feed my mantids
Around here weedy meadows or any weedy areas are full of bugs. I go out in the summer and catch grasshoppers by the tons along with other stuff. I have big black crickets under logs around my house.

I was moving a bunch of firewood yesterday that needed stacked and a big ol earthworm was attached to one that had dirt stuck to it, I just couldnt bring myself to take it in to a mantis, too yucky!

I'll resurrect this topic to share something unusual. I caught a bunch of spitfires (Sawfly larvae) today thinking they'd be good mantid food. I present one to one of my hungry adult females, she takes a nibble and immediately throws it away. She started convulsing a little afterwards, although I suspect this was just old age coming into play. Are Sawfly larvae bad?

I'll resurrect this topic to share something unusual. I caught a bunch of spitfires (Sawfly larvae) today thinking they'd be good mantid food. I present one to one of my hungry adult females, she takes a nibble and immediately throws it away. She started convulsing a little afterwards, although I suspect this was just old age coming into play. Are Sawfly larvae bad?
I looked it up, James, and the larvae are certainly poisonous. For a reference that specifically mentions Australian sawflies, try: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10080356

Spitfires, eh? Great name! :D

Lophyrotomin, the toxic octapeptide found in Australian sawfly larvae. Brilliant! Thanks Phil :)
Welcome, James. It's one of my areas of specialization. Often, when I am walking my dog, kids will run up to me, show me a vial and say "Do you think that this octopeptide is toxic?" I usually pat them on the head and say, "Watch out! My dog will bite your a*se!"

Latest posts