What am I doing wrong with these ooths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliverar

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have had a orchid ooth and 2 spiny flower mantis ooth's. I put them in a plastic container with an air vent. I lined it with kitchen roll and sprayed them every few days, and kept them in my airing cupboard to keep them warm. They went all mouldy and didn't hatch! What am I doing wrong? What can I do to avoid this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mold is a sign of too much moisture and not enough air flow. I just stick them in a container with a vented or mesh top and mist every few days. Nothing really special needs to be done.

If u dont have those kind of lids, take lid u have off and use a panty hose leg, or stocking or thin curtain material with rubber band, too much water, not enough air.

ok, so having them laying on the damp paper isn't a problem? Or do I need to hang them up?
Yes it is. That's why they have mildew as Rick pointed out. You can glue them to the top of a twig and prop it against the side of the pot and cover it as Hibiscusmile suggested. If you have some excelsior, toss a little into the pot so that the nymphs have something to climb on when they hatch. It doesn't matter if an ooth in this position gets wet when you spray. It will dry, but it shouldn't be left constantly in contact with moisture.

ok, so having them laying on the damp paper isn't a problem? Or do I need to hang them up?
Well you didnt' mention that. Ooths must be elevated to give the nymphs room to properly hatch. That is likely where your problem lies. I use a tiny drop of non toxic glue from a low temp hot glue gun.