What are Considered Poisonous Bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I knew there have been cases of them catching birds but I never really realized the true ratio of size between what they can catch....

And after all that, to be asked to go out and take pix (surely not steal copyright ones?) to make life nice and easy for someone who is not prepared, apparently, to do any work themselves,, I became more irritated than perhaps was good for me.

smile.gif
Sorry I didn't mean to irritate anyone it was just a suggestion and I don't know anything about copyright stealing rules. I also ment to do some of the work myself like maybe everyone that did have a bug they were curious about could take a picture and put it up in one thread asking about it. I would never even think to ask that much of the people here to go out and take pictures of all the interesting bugs for me. Sorry I even made the comment to begin with won't happen again.

MrPitseleh: I was much less mad at you personally than at the trend that I have seen since I have been here, about two years, of folks, often but not always newcomers, who ask questions like, "how many ooths will my fertile Chinese mantis lay?" Of course, no one knows the answer to this, though sometimes an experienced and kindly soul like Ismart will offer an informed guess, but the enquirer never reports how many ooths their mantis actually laid. I don't mind being a grumpy old man on occasion, but please don't take it personally. Poor Rick, has been at this on a daily basis for years, repeating answers to the same questions on something like a three month rotation. When I become King (and I understand that that is in the works) I shall present him with the Royal Medal (equivalent to the Presidential Medal only bigger and shinier) for "Services to the Mantis Community Beyond the Call of Duty."

By all means post pix of insects that you discover are unpalatable to mantids and, more importantly, any ill effects that the mantids might suffer. Try to identify the insect on the internet, first, though, using something like www.bugguide.net or www.insectidentification.org. Your information may prove very useful.

Remember, though, if you believe in evolution, noxious defensive chemicals only work if they prevent predators from attacking, like the centip millipede or bombardier beetle or if a combination of noxiousness and aposematic coloration will stop the predator with color vision from making more than one attempt. While an insect might be accidentally harmful to a mantis, who appears to be color blind, its toxin will have no advantageous effect on the species' survival.

And finally, raisins really are a tasty and healthful snack. I think that I shall have some now, before heading out!

Take care!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts