What are cool spiders to keep?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
As of late I've been interested in spiders for some reason even though I am a little on the arachniphobic side. I've been growing a major interest in spiders such as the Jumping Spiders.. and believe it or not, also the regular looking Daddy Long Legs. I was also interested in ones like the Brown Widow Spider, but I don't think the folks here would be very happy if those got loose in the house. I'm mainly looking for species that have a little size on them, but are not really known to cause any serious bites if they were to bite anyone. If there is any info that you folks could send me, that would be awesome! Thanks guys!

OH! And the easier to care for, the better! ;)

I keep some in the corners of my ceiling sometimes and there very easy to care for, I could ship you some for free? But only for you brotha. ;) :lol:

jumpers are an absolute joy to keep. I've got one phidippus audax I found as an adult and its still alive today more than a year later :)

I've also got basically the exact opposite of the phidippus audax, which is the phidippus adumbratus and that is a lovely jumper ;)

Both WC, hardy, and live apparently a long time.

If you want to see some fast reflexes and predatory action,(and I mean fast!) :eek: you could try to get Selenopidae. I found a couple by accident, and kept them in almost the same conditions as my Carolina mantids. They are easy to keep and cool looking, but you want to be careful when feeding and cleaning containers, they are quick, flat, and hard to capture because they can hang on to just about anything. Unfortunately, because of that, they are not handleable. :mellow:

I was bitten by a wild one about a month ago, when I was trying to clean up a palm tree that was cut down in my yard. I felt a little pinch, and looked down to see it biting me, there was no mark after a few minutes, but it could have been a dry bite. My dad got bit by one that was in his covers and he had a little "mosquito bite" like mark for less than a week.
I suggested this spider because you mentioned something that has a mild bite, and they are way cool to watch at feeding time. :D

You could view some photos and info on them on bugguide.

Get a tarantula, they rock. Jumpers and wolf spiders are cool. I'm keeping 2 black widows, they're badass. If you have room, get a Nephila or an ogre face spider.

Here's my girl

4847850514_68e2f982ea_b.jpg

Ts are good Grammostola rosea Chile Rose are very easy to keep fake widows are also good

I've been tempted to keep a widow...but they're wild here, so why bother. Both black and brown.

Also found a tarantula in Temecula a couple years back.

Get a tarantula, they rock. Jumpers and wolf spiders are cool. I'm keeping 2 black widows, they're badass. If you have room, get a Nephila or an ogre face spider.

Here's my girl

4847850514_68e2f982ea_b.jpg
what species is that i like :)

oh and defo a tarantula@ the thread poster

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamakiri we get a lot of T's here in temecula, to bad none ever make it to my suburb home.

By the way my friend found me a camel spider and that just might be a new favorite! What an amazing killing machine! Can't wait to get some macros!

Where could I find out more information about these Huntsman Spiders?? How much space is required to keep them happy? I'm digging these a lot more especially after watching this guy trying to grab them and it doesn't even bother trying to bite him:

I'm also pretty interested in Nephila, but it seems those need a lot of space.. I may look into it in the future anyways because I love their colors. I'm also looking at Agriopes just because they're colorful as heck and are pretty abundant over here in Southern California. =)

Latest posts