What are these?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i watched a ff pupa form once. the 'tentacles' are breathing tubes that the pupa has to breath when immersed in the substrate. in this case it was a wild ff type i caught outside that had much longer breathing tubes about the length of the pupae - dont know if it was another species or just a race of the normal ones - the fly just looked like a normal ff. the transition from maggot to pupae was very rapid, supprisingly changing from moving maggot to the immobile pupae shape in a few seconds, culminating in those tubes shooting out of the head end. you'd think it would take half an hour to form the pupa but it didnt. maybe the tubes can move for longer still, and alter their length or position to get air, but i didnt see these moving once they came out, they appeared stuck to the glass and immobile once they had formed. maybe you saw the pupa forming like i did

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh probably, most likely is pupae, im not sure how slugs are born but I have no idea how they could get in there, but it did fool me lol :lol:

Yeh probably, most likely is pupae, im not sure how slugs are born but I have no idea how they could get in there, but it did fool me lol :lol:
yeah, it does look like a little slug with some more peeping over the top :p

Quite an entertaining thread indeed. Yes, those are nothing other than FF pupae. Judging by the size, they're hydei.

I've never seen a pupa move. If you can get it on video, I want to see how in the world the move. ;)

tbh i disagree guys, i know you got alot more experience with mantids etc than myself but i cant see these being fly lava, after the maggot stage you have the casters which are hard & stationary. i had exactly the same in my cultures and these things move. casters do not move and after casters you have flys. i appreciate there are many different species of fly and this is a first for me having fruit fly but i cannot see them being any different to the ones used fo fishing exept there smaller. i could be wrong about these but i doubt it.

Well like i said before anyone else had they ARE fruit fly pupa, all larvae ive seen have turned into them, and all fruit flies ive seen have hatched for them so its obvious they are fruit fly pupa no doubt about it

after alittle research i still dont think they are anything to do with fruit flies.these are what i found on that winkopedia site and like i said you got the maggots then casters.

Fruit_fly_larva_01.jpg

Fruit_fly_pupae_01.jpg

after alittle research i still dont think they are anything to do with fruit flies.these are what i found on that winkopedia site and like i said you got the maggots then casters.
On the second picture, the 2nd larvae on the left has the 2 antenna like thingys too that look weird, this is what you saw!

OMG I ALREADY SAID 1ST REPLY

THEY ARE FRUIT FLIES

Both castors and these pupae are flies, but that doesnt mean they have to look the same, some mantids have wings, some dont, some have wide arms some dont, some phasmids look like sticks, some look like leafs.

Look at ooths, some are big foamy masses others are tiny skid marks on twigs

Looking at your post again im guessing you mean wikipedia, so bear in mind that is not a dedecated insects sight and a lot of the information on there is not correct

Why ask when you are unwilling to accept the opinions of everyone? It must mean something if practically every single person posts about it being ff pupae. I'm sure we've cultured a lot of flies, so I think we'd know what they would look like. The pictures you show are of a different type of fly.

http://www.bgequip.com/Red-fruit-fly-pupae.jpg

http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2005/10/051025074024.jpg

Attack of the pupae slugs. Those are the real pupae. Wait a while. When they hatch, I'm sure you will realize your mistake. ;)

Rob Byatt said:
I posted a reply on here just before Giosans'. Where did it go ? Why does this always happen when something is written by me that some people on here do not like ? I'm sure we live in a democracy, maybe I'm mistaken :rolleyes:
Hi Rob,

I don't think anyone touched your post (though I could be wrong if it contained vulgarity or was mean spirited with no redeeming content and someone else ran across it). I'm guessing you made an error when posting. You may live in a democracy but we live in a police state where even harmless exotic pet mantids are illegal. :(

It can be funny when someone argues against the obvious despite all odds but the question is does this person really think they're not really what they are or just jerking the rest of us around...

Thought i'd try to make this clear ;)

Castors

flythingypics001.jpg

Here u can see a maggot about to become a castor which has the tube things(look carefully)

flythingypics002.jpg

Castors on a stick

flythingypics004.jpg

Flies

flythingypics003.jpg

Latest posts