What are you gut-loading your feeder insects with?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humantidy

Reaction score
So I am curious, as a leopard gecko owner, I feed my pet gecko a variety of bugs – crickets, dubia roaches, giant mealworms, wax worms, horn worms, and phoenix worms. One of the things that is very crucial to the health of my gecko is what I feed his bugs. We call it "gut-loading". I gut-load my gecko's bugs by feeding them carrots, apples, bananas, broccoli, papaya, sweet potato, alfalfa sprouts and sometimes oranges (citrus can give a gecko the runs, LOL). I also feed them Repashy's Bug Burger and Superload. Anyway, there are actually some fruits and veggies that are bad for my gecko, that I must avoid feeding my feeder insects. 

So I guess my question is....are there any foods that should NOT be fed to a feeder insect before it's fed to a pet mantis? I'm asking this because I remember reading somewhere online to never feed your feeder insects carrots...that carrot-fed bugs can make a mantis sick. Do we know anything in regards to what's good for "gut-loading" the bugs we feed our mantids? I would imagine some foods are better than others. If there's a science behind it in dealing with geckos, I'd bet there is one for mantids as well.

For roaches I do dry feed that smells like alfalfa, then citrus fruit. Flies gut loaded with sugar water or honey. No true science behind it that I know of, but I think it’s good to gut load with sugary substances. Chitin, the backbone of the insect exoskeleton, is a polysaccharide (a chemical structure of many sugars connected) so to me it makes sense

I use bee pollen and honey, milk, yeast,etc. The great Yen gave e permission to use his name on it. I called it Yen's special blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I provide my feeders with the optimal nutritional requirements of those feeders.  That, in turn, will provide the optimal nutrition for my pets.  No black magic or urban legends required.

Latest posts