What breed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luc

Reaction score
 Hi everyone I found this little guy at my place don't know exactly where it came from probably a plant that I bought or some bananas but anyway this little dude was on the counter I got lucky to see it cuz I think it's an ellaone there may be able to it's only about A Milli meter high. Today I'm going to go get some fruit fly for it last night I found and not on the floor at my place I gave it to her.

Can anyone tell me to breed please

_IMG7239.jpg

_IMG7238.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, Canada has only 3 species: Europeans, Chinese, and agile ground Mantids. It’s definitely not the first two. Was the plant imported from another place? Or maybe you found yourself a new species. That’d be neat.  :p

I have done a bit of research, and it seems that the banana where from Costa Rica. The costa rica mantis ( tree mantis Liturgusa annulipes) basicly share the same coloring.

It did not eat the ant I gave it yesterday bu today I've got some pinhead cricket.

Any recommendation, it is the first time that I got one so young.

Are there many breed of mantis that are so small, it is about 4mm long.

Yep, looks like a match to me!

130_A6589-35_C8-4_F6_A-_AF93-5_FE38_B11624_D.jpg

Interesting. I suppose this is how most exotic species make it to new places. Congratulations on finding and saving the little guy! I don’t think he would’ve survived in Canada. All I know is it will probably require high temperatures and humidity.

Yep, looks like a match to me!

Interesting. I suppose this is how most exotic species make it to new places. Congratulations on finding and saving the little guy! I don’t think he would’ve survived in Canada. All I know is it will probably require high temperatures and humidity.
That would be cool, do you know how old is that one ?

Today, the third day She has not eaten yet, but does drink water and move quite often.

I made a little setup in a 4x4 inch glass container. Sorry the pic is ugly but I've circle the mantis to give an idea of it's size.

If anyone have any info about this type of mantis, please share. I could not find any info on the net.

mantis bowl.jpg

The Liturgusa are a relatively new genus as far as I know, so you probably won't find much for care info.  Every Liturgusa I've seen are unique and impressive.  They are my favorite by far, and they aren't really available in trade much yet, so consider yourself lucky!! 

If he/she is not eating it could be getting ready to molt, best thing is to just make sure to lightly mist the container at least once a day so that it has enough humidity.  Sounds like you are probably already doing this.  If you are able to find any small flies such as fruit flies or something similar, that may trigger a feeding from her. 

Good luck and congrats!

This species comes from a pretty humid region and definitely needs a high humidity but most importantly a lot of ventilation! I wouldn’t put it in that glass enclosure if you would like it to survive. Get something with a lot of ventilation like something with a lot of netting. It will need fruitflies to eat, or anything really small. Also rocks aren’t good for substrate as they would hurt the mantis if they fell and do not soak in water. A simple paper towel works perfect. And like @TheShadyMantid said you will need some netting at the top to let it molt. Good luck!

The Liturgusa are a relatively new species as far as I know, so you probably won't find much for care info.  Every Liturgusa I've seen are unique and impressive.  They are my favorite by far, and they aren't really available in trade much yet, so consider yourself lucky!! 

If he/she is not eating it could be getting ready to molt, best thing is to just make sure to lightly mist the container at least once a day so that it has enough humidity.  Sounds like you are probably already doing this.  If you are able to find any small flies such as fruit flies or something similar, that may trigger a feeding from her. 

Good luck and congrats!
I hope that it is what we think, thanks for the info.

This species comes from a pretty humid region and definitely needs a high humidity but most importantly a lot of ventilation! I wouldn’t put it in that glass enclosure if you would like it to survive. Get something with a lot of ventilation like something with a lot of netting. It will need fruitflies to eat, or anything really small. Also rocks aren’t good for substrate as they would hurt the mantis if they fell and do not soak in water. A simple paper towel works perfect. And like @TheShadyMantid said you will need some netting at the top to let it molt. Good luck!
I have made a screen top for the bowl, and I found a place where they will ordered some fruitflies tomorow.

I have a big tropical vivarium ,I will put the mantis bowl in there.

Today I got home from work and the 2 pinhead cricket are gone, most likely digested.

And I should received tomorrow some fruit fly that I've ordered. One thing I can say so far about the Liturgusa, They are really fast and move a lot.

Today I've introduce fruit-fly, how many would you put at a time ?

@Luc Doesn’t matter. He’ll eat until he’s full and plump. Just eyeball it. How big is his abdomen, and how many flies do you think can fit in there?

Latest posts