What breed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Luc Doesn’t matter. He’ll eat until he’s full and plump. Just eyeball it. How big is his abdomen, and how many flies do you think can fit in there?
Thank you Dane.

Something really weird happened, today I found the mantis dead, but here's the weird part, 10 minute later I found an other one. At the same place on the counter from where I found the previous.

That one is a lots more active it jump high and it took her less than 2 second to spot the food.

What do you think I did wrong with the first one ?

_IMG7248.jpg

@Luc

No problem.

interesting. If you found another one, it’s possible there are even more, or possibly even an ooth. I would look around the plant and the ceiling to see if there are any more, and check the branches to see if there’s an ooth. 

Posting a picture if the body might help with finding a possible reason for it’s death.

I'm with Dane... Look high and low in that same area for more. Those are just hatched so they could be slowly hatching from an ooth that those bananas brought with them or the plant you mentioned.

As far as why the first one died... Could be many reasons but my guess would be to consider the container you have it in. Does it have "plenty" of ventilation? Hard to tell by your picture bc the lid can't be seen. Next would be hydration. Most newly hatched nymphs, especially tropical (Costa Rica?) Need water, or hydration through food within 48 hours (+/-)  to live. Very light mist (caution drowning). Allow water to evaporate within a couple of hours.

Lastly... Stick with flies, skip the crix.

@Luc

No problem.

interesting. If you found another one, it’s possible there are even more, or possibly even an ooth. I would look around the plant and the ceiling to see if there are any more, and check the branches to see if there’s an ooth. 

Posting a picture if the body might help with finding a possible reason for it’s death.
I am sorry, what is an ooth?

The only plant I have here are in a tropical terrarium. It would not survive there

I'm with Dane... Look high and low in that same area for more. Those are just hatched so they could be slowly hatching from an ooth that those bananas brought with them or the plant you mentioned.

As far as why the first one died... Could be many reasons but my guess would be to consider the container you have it in. Does it have "plenty" of ventilation? Hard to tell by your picture bc the lid can't be seen. Next would be hydration. Most newly hatched nymphs, especially tropical (Costa Rica?) Need water, or hydration through food within 48 hours (+/-)  to live. Very light mist (caution drowning). Allow water to evaporate within a couple of hours.

Lastly... Stick with flies, skip the crix.
Since Dane told me about ventilation ,the top is a screen mesh, it has a scott towel at the bottom. I gave it water and it drank being careful about the drowning part.

It did took a good 4 days before I found proper food for it.

I am not sure that they are from Costa Rica, I just assume cause the banana are so far the only logical conclusion on how they got here on my counter, in winter.

I will try misting a little less

_IMG7251.jpg

For high ventilation, I've put it in a 8x8x8 exoterra terrarium.

Mystery solved...maybe

I have this female mantis at home that I got from a pet store close by, it was already full grown (with wings).

She enjoyed often my bonsai tree and today I found egg sac on 2 leave. I have been told it is a Miomantis paykullii ,But I am not sure of that.

Do you think that those little are from her ?Miomantis paykullii.jpg

Egg sac.jpg

Well from the looks of it you definitely have an ooth that has hatched.  I'm guessing the ooth in the picture is what is producing the little dark nymphs you are finding, as you can see some worm skins (their very first molt), as well as one of the mantids who didn't quite make it out of the skin and it looks similar to the others.  But I don't believe the ooth is from your green miomantis, as her nymphs would be more green like her.  Where did you get the bonsai that had the ooth on it, and how long have you had it?

Well from the looks of it you definitely have an ooth that has hatched.  I'm guessing the ooth in the picture is what is producing the little dark nymphs you are finding, as you can see some worm skins (their very first molt), as well as one of the mantids who didn't quite make it out of the skin and it looks similar to the others.  But I don't believe the ooth is from your green miomantis, as her nymphs would be more green like her.  Where did you get the bonsai that had the ooth on it, and how long have you had it?
That bonsai have been here few years, but it was in the vivarium since the Miomantis got here (few month). Other than local, last summer no mantis...none that could give that result.

What a mystery! The tooth doesn't look like the miomantis oothes we have here, but ours are miomantis caffra.

This has been an exciting read :)

I do know our baby m.caffra are pretty interesting and striped, this is one example. So perhaps other mio breeds are?

images (1).jpeg

Thanks for the info, it molted a second time 2 days ago. soon more picture

Latest posts