What can you tell me about I. Oratoria?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joossa

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

As some of you know I have started to keep and mate Iris Oratoria's since the summer. I have tried doing research on this species, but have found very general information.

So... maybe some of you with some familarity with this species can help.

What can you tell me about I. Oratoria's:

-Breeding habits

-Ooth requirements

-Life span

-Difficulty of keeping

-Distribution in the US

-Any other facts that might be helpful?

Also, I have used the search feature on this forum, but found little info. So... if you guys know of any sites or have any links that contian info on this species PLEASE post it.

Thanks so much!!!

I believe they can be found from about Davis, CA south to Arizona.

I have had ooths that were exposed to freezing temperatures for a short time still hatch

It seemed to me that nymphs hatched out much stronger and larger and over a shorter period of time when exposed to a cold period of a couple of months.

Nymphs generally seem to hatch 5-15 a day for about a week from an ooth.

Females are capable of laying a good number of fertile ooths (6-10).

Sorry... old thread, I know. But anyway, I gathered some oothecae of this type, I believe. And I got them from Davis, CA too. :) Actually, I know where to find a lot of these oothecae. However, almost all of them are really old and I only found 4 unhatched ones. I'm expecting them to hatch soon since it's the right season.

Sorry... old thread, I know. But anyway, I gathered some oothecae of this type, I believe. And I got them from Davis, CA too. :) Actually, I know where to find a lot of these oothecae. However, almost all of them are really old and I only found 4 unhatched ones. I'm expecting them to hatch soon since it's the right season.
Very old thread! :)

I have hatched out multiple ooths of this species ever since I initially posted here (back in '06). It's the species I am currently working with. They tolerate desert conditions and take a long time to hatch (Brunneria borealis long!). In fact they are very similar to Brunneria borealis in many ways: hatch rates, incubation time, parthenogenic abilities, and natural habitat conditions.

They are not spring hatchers, but hatch in the summer. Apply lots of heat if you want a quick incubation, other than that they will likely hatch in June once temps become summer like. Good luck with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for the info. Wish me luck on them, I guess.

Edit: Hmm, would you be able to post up some kind of care sheet?

Last edited by a moderator:
June...wow that's long. I'm in vegas, and they're the only ones I really see. I have 6 ooths. Joosa, can u email me a caresheet? PLEASE!!?? :rolleyes:

Latest posts