What do you feed your bluebottle/house flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I use honey but looking at what others use. Wondering if they could be fed something like broth?

I'd been using honey for quite a while. But it's messy and expensive, so I thought I'd try a mixture of powdered sugar, powdered milk, and bee pollen. I've been using it for about a month now, and it seems to be working just fine... without all the stickiness and dripping on top of the cages. I just sprinkle a spoonful of the mixture in the bottom of the cages. I do mist my flies once a day like I do my mantids too.

I don't find the honey too messy. I do flies in 32 oz cups set up the same as for mantids. I use a syringe to put the honey on top of the foam plug. Works pretty good. So the flies can eat a dry mixture? I always figured they had to have a liquid.

I don't find the honey too messy. I do flies in 32 oz cups set up the same as for mantids. I use a syringe to put the honey on top of the foam plug. Works pretty good. So the flies can eat a dry mixture? I always figured they had to have a liquid.
Yep, they dissolve water soluble food with their own spit. A mixture of sugar and powdered milk/buttermilk works pretty well and is less sticky than honey.\

I figure they need water to live, just like other insects, and to make spit with... hence the misting every day. Works for me! ;)
Yes, indeed. As with all of my net cages, I have a paper towel substrate and a shallow Rubbermaid container full of peatmoss that I keep very wet. Flies are much more susceptible to dehydration than mantids. I also mist twice daily (its pretty dry here in the desert), and sometimes in my enthusiasm, will also spray the plastic door. The flies smirk knowingly. :D

Another good thing to remember is that if you have more than 10Gm of pupae in a 12" cube, the flies will be competing for "roosting" space.

Flying burns a tremendous amount of energy and may also contribute to dehydration (I'll look that up when I get home and correct myself if I'm wrong,unless someone beats me to it!), so if you are keeping a lot of flies in one enclosure, give them some loosely clumped excelsior or raffia to rest on. And yes, I have run tests on ten flies per 32oz pot with and without excelsior. I have seen up to 100% loss over 3 days with no perching space and up to 100% survival with it.

For house fly, i use brown sugar mix honey water, the 'smell' from brown sugar attracts them well.

For blue bottle i smear a thin layer of honey on a small area on top of the net cage, then have a mist on it and put a light to attract the blue bottle for the feast.

For food I use fly food I order from mantisplace, for water I've been using Fluker's Cricket Quencher. It's a hydrated gel, works for both crickets and flies, and I really like it for preventing drowning!

Latest posts