What else?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonibaru

Reaction score
Because I've been a good noob and reading all the forums, I have had most of my basic questions answered. Which means the only questions I have left are probably weird ones.

The neighborhood kids have been asking me what kind of insects my mantis will eat. They have been bringing me a variety of yard caught bugs including wood louse, various cockroaches, ants, beetles and moths. I haven't been brave enough to put any of them in except for the moths.

What types of insects (besides spiders, centipedes, bees - I don't want to put anything in there that can bite or sting in defense) that mantids will definitely not eat or should not be attempted?

In nature, mantids will strike at just about anything of the right size that is moving. If they don't like it -- milk weed bugs -- are a classic example, they will let it go and not try another similarly shaped and colored insect (c.f. Batesian and Mullerian mimicry). Unless you are concerned that spiders bees and wasps may hurt you, you will find that mantids enjoy them and very rarely receive a significant injury as a result.

Arthropods that spend most of their time on the ground, like pill bugs and centipedes, are seldom encountered by mantids and are best omitted from the menu. The same is true of most beetles, whose hard elytra cannot be easily penetrated by the mantids mandibles.

Just about anything. Large beetles are not a good choice or anything that lives underground or under things like pillbugs, centipedes, etc. Moths, butterflies, grasshoppers, roaches, etc are best.

Right now I turn on the porch light for an hour or so after dark and then go out and snag a handful of moths. By morning just a fluffy pile of wings left on the bottom of the enclosure.