what flower mantids are communal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hierodula

Reaction score
I want to try and build a self-sustaining ecosystem with some flower mantids, as a little project. Any help would be appreciated!

I had orchid mantises- no problems at all! I also had creobroter pictipennis and had no problems with those either! Orchids are a safer bet, but I always separate past sub adult!

All flowers are pretty aggressive. How did you get orchids to not cannibalize?!?! Those are one of the most aggressive!

As far as I know, idolos, gongies and ghosts are the only really comunal species. Other "calmer" species like brunners etc. may work. Ghosts are the best bet.

Though ghosts are not flower mantids. But crazy4mantis is correct in saying that most flower mantids aren't communal. If you were willing to take a chance you should try either a pseudoharpax, acromantis, or a creo. BUT, blephs are considered flower mantids, and they are relatively communal

You can keep Creo sp nymphs together until they reach adulthood providing there is enough food in the terra.

I found Acromantis formosana to be the most communal ever.I kept L4 to adult all together,some even mated infront of the youths!!!so outrageous!

They still may cannibalize sometimes but only because of the lack of food.

Thanks everyone! I do realize that obviously cannibalism will always be there, but which ones are the more tolerant than others of others was what I was wondering. What about wallies?

Idolos are pretty communal...how bout idolos + blephs?
Ya I agree, but Idolos are difficult, and If something goes wrong, most of the other mantids are hardier.[quote

name=brancsikia339' timestamp='1346109411' post='211360]

Two different species that need two different environments... not a good mix

I agree

Thanks everyone! I do realize that obviously cannibalism will always be there, but which ones are the more tolerant than others of others was what I was wondering. What about wallies?
wallies are often cannibalistic. The best choices would be: gongys, idolos, blephs, creos, or acromantis

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be hard to find calm flower-mantis species. They are generally compact, strong and agressive beasts that don't fear anything and often overpower even bigger pray then themselves.

Hestiasula sp. are the most communal mantis. That's what I heard, never kept them.

Sibylla pretiosa are also really tolerant, but they need a lot of space to separate from mates when they moult.

The only reason I say idolos and blephs is they are almost same adult size and they have the same diet and basically same environments and enclosure setups...

It will be hard to find calm flower-mantis species. They are generally compact, strong and agressive beasts that don't fear anything and often overpower even bigger pray then themselves.

Hestiasula sp. are the most communal mantis. That's what I heard, never kept them.

Sibylla pretiosa are also really tolerant, but they need a lot of space to separate from mates when they moult.
How big to boxers get? And what about acromantis and creos?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would not put more than one Acromantis or Creo in one place, because I've seen Creo nymphs eating one another like crazy and heard, that Acro do the same.

The only reason I say idolos and blephs is they are almost same adult size and they have the same diet and basically same environments and enclosure setups...
Every thing about this statement is incorrect. Idolos are much larger than blephs, while they eat the same things they live in opposite climates! Blephs live in the desert and CANNOT BE EVER SPRAYED while idolos need daily spraying. Not to mention that blephs are EXTREMELY cannibalistic and aggressive. They will take bbs at L3...Also I cant remember who said brunners were communal but that is not true! They eat each other at L1!

The only flower mantis I would keep together is creos and even that is a stretch.

Every thing about this statement is incorrect. Idolos are much larger than blephs, while they eat the same things they live in opposite climates! Blephs live in the desert and CANNOT BE EVER SPRAYED while idolos need daily spraying. Not to mention that blephs are EXTREMELY cannibalistic and aggressive. They will take bbs at L3...

Also I cant remember who said brunners were communal but that is not true! They eat each other at L1!

The only flower mantis I would keep together is creos and even that is a stretch.
Part 1: Very true. And idolos can take bbs at L1!

Part 2: I learned that the hard way...

Part 3: Same

Some one kept 2 brunners in one cup at a reptile fair. But there were literally like 200 hydeis in there with them.