what got you interested in keeping mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurliefrie

miles!! (littlegreenmantis)
Reaction score
someone might have already made a thread about this already but im gonna make another one. what got you guys interested in keeping mantis? i was thinking about it just now and what got me into the hobby was when i went to my local exotics shop to see what stick insects they had and they had orchid mantis nymphs in stock (i dont recommend orchid mantis to beginners), i brought one and named him wisp and he outlived his life span, he died a few months ago, rip wisp

I bought an ooth from a home improvement store and hatched it out. I did it for my garden pests (I've been corrected since then and no longer release Chinese mantids). When I released them one crawled on my hand and wouldn't climb off... So I decided to keep it. That led to my obsession and I hope it never ends. 😄 I've kept over 36 different species since.

I think my Earliest memory of mantis was when I was at my grandma's and my dad brought me a mantis in his hat and from then on I just always thought the bugs were the coolest thing. :)

I took an entomology course for credits in my sophomore year of college and then fell in love with bugs. I was leaning towards trying to keep beetles as pets, but my cousin gifted me a gift card to a mantis shop for my birthday. Then I got one...and another...and another...and another...

I got in love with mantids with watching vids from other mantis lovers. then I bought 1, then 2...I think i am going buy me a mantis soon, I miss having them

I grew up on an acreage and my favourite hobby has always been catching bugs! I saw a photo of an orchid mantis about three-ish years ago and vowed to one day have a praying mantis. After years of searching, I took my mom to a bug & reptile expo for Mother’s Day (she likes that kind of stuff I promise!) and purchased my first ever mantis right then and there. Happy Mother’s Day to both of us I guess? Lol

Latest posts