What habitat for a small mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
I'm still new to mantis keeping and was wondering, what should I house a baby mantis in?

A container with ventilation and surfaces that can be grasped securely. Most people use deli cups with screen lids.

Check a dollar store called "Dollar tree" or "Super dollar tree" over in the kitchenware/storage containers. :D

...should be 3 packs there for $1

Or you could check a hobby/ art and crafts store.

^Good spots, LAME.

If you're in the midwest, and you want to buy in bulk, you can also check out your local GSF. (it's a food service store that sells thing in bulk to restaurants and places like that.) I was able to find clear 16oz and 32oz containers in packs of 25, and then lids that fit both of them in a packs of 50. Also plenty of little condiment cups with lids. Pretty easy to cut up some cheesecloth, glue it to the lids and puncture holes in them. Pretty much set for a while after that. I use them for my flightless ff culture and mantids alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy deli cups and souffle cups and their corresponding lids from Smart and Final here in California.
Deli cups and souffle cups with holes poked into the lids and on the sides work well for me for small nymphs and small species. I hot glue strips of paper towel on the sides and a circle of paper towel on the lid for them to grip onto.

32 oz insect cups seem to be the hobby standard. Just do a google search on them. Get the fabric covered lids instead of the mesh ones because fruit flies can slip through the metal mesh.

You can also build a terrarium like I did, but I heard the mantis doesn't really care about its environment. I find a terrarium much cooler to look at instead of just a cup. But that's just the way I see it, deli cups should be fine!

You can also build a terrarium like I did, but I heard the mantis doesn't really care about its environment. I find a terrarium much cooler to look at instead of just a cup. But that's just the way I see it, deli cups should be fine!
^ this is what I do. ;)

I find part of the hobby of building and watching your terrarium very interesting, it's just so cool seeing your insects create their own foodchain and ecosystem. It's like a small part of jungle in my home :D

Latest posts