What happens if a mantis eats a honey bee?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
When I came home today there was a ton of honey bees in by outside basil along with 3 mantids. 2 of them were eating bees and the 3rd had a cut on her neck and was oozing black stuff from what looked like a cut. I freaked when I saw that but I did not want to touch them. I literally turned my back for a minute and one that was eating a bee disappeared. Now 2 have disappeared for the first time in 2 weeks including the one with the cut.

Could a sting have made them die instantly and drop?

What could have caused the cut the other one?

Bees are typically part of many wild mantises diet, and so I don't think it's likely that bees could have killed all of them so quickly... It's likely they've been snacking on bees for quite a while, and this is just the first time you've seen 'em do it.
As well, mantids typically don't bleed black, either :U Their "blood" is usually a greenish color, unless there's an infection. The oozing black stuff may very well have come from the bee itself, but without a visual, I couldn't say for sure!
It may have been that the mantises have just retreated after having a nice pollen covered meal. It's likely you may spot them again :D A little bee sting won't cause a mantis to instantly die. There'd have to have been a pretty epic battle, and you would have seen/heard it. Lots of angry buzzing and tussling.

Just keep an eye out, let us know if you see your basil dwelling, bee eating babies again :>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thank you! So much good info! Poor bees though! It actually looked like another bee was trying to help his fallen comrade by buzzing around the one of the mantids right after she caught the bee!

Yes bees are a big part of wild mantis diet, we just don't approve of feeding them to captive mantids because they are endangered. They are actually very nutritious and I bet they taste good. I've had a mantis get stung in the arm once, it was a small nymph that couldn't handle the bee. The arm was paralyzed but I don't know if it died or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww. I just found all the mantids again. The one with the cut is very skinny and I don't think will make it much longer. I tried feeder her but she wouldn't move. The others are doing well! Thank you!