What I did besides bug hunting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Revmdn and Beck!

More on Penang Butterfly Farm

The seldom seen D. truncata

Dtruncata.jpg

There are many type of cannivorous plants too, some are pretty cool

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP3.jpg

This one can swallow the largest mantis, it was longer than a foot!

CP4.jpg

More CP

CP5.jpg

CP6.jpg

CP7.jpg

CP8.jpg

Strange to see horseshoe crab in butterfly farm....

horseshoecrab.jpg

Hmmm... Did you ask them if they had extra for sale? :lol:

That is strange. I guess they wanted to include some interesting things in the water feature too. ;) I had a funny thought.... what would really be strange is if they suddenly flapped their shells and flew around like butterflies in there! :huh: :p I can't help these silly thoughts sometimes. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... Did you ask them if they had extra for sale? :lol: That is strange. I guess they wanted to include some interesting things in the water feature too. ;) I had a funny thought.... what would really be strange is if they suddenly flapped their shells and flew around like butterflies in there! :huh: :p I can't help these silly thoughts sometimes. :rolleyes:
I didn't ask. Believed the insects for exhibit are not for sale :(

haha! I would love to see a flying horsecrab, should be quite a sight :)

More pics on the butterfly farm

Ntce orchid

orchid.jpg

A family pic with a giant beetle sculture

sawfamily.jpg

Life cycle of some butterfly species

preserved1.jpg

preserved2.jpg

preserved3.jpg

and live catepillar on food plant

PenangBF3.jpg

Cannivorous plants everywhere

CPgroup.jpg

CPgroup1.jpg

A mating pair

matingbutt.jpg

This is one fat centipede, about 10 inches long too

centipede.jpg

D. truncata is in culture right now, let's see how long... At least my fifth female gets paired right now. :lol:

There are also some horseshoe crab species in Asia, I can't tell which one was exhibited, though.

Some great pics there mate, thanks for sharing. Look forward to more lol

Thanks all.

More butterfly farm pics from Penang

A huge monitor

monitor1.jpg

monitor3.jpg

One of the butterfly trail

PenangBF1.jpg

A huge fresh water fish.. alligator gar?

gar.jpg

Pair of lizard

lizard3.jpg

This one chilling next the a mini waterfall

lizard1.jpg

Let me out!! :)

llizard.jpg

Camouflage

deadleafmimic2.jpg

deadleafmimic1.jpg

mimic1.jpg

I'm surprised at how much writing is in English.
Erm...... Our country was colonized by the British for a long long long time. English is part of our life! Also, Malay, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka etc) and Tamil are very well spoken in Malaysia. If you go to Melacca, you can still find some Portuguese speaking family as well.

Thanks Revmdn and Beck!More on Penang Butterfly Farm

Dtruncata.jpg

There are many type of cannivorous plants too, some are pretty cool

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP3.jpg

This one can swallow the largest mantis, it was longer than a foot!

CP4.jpg

More CP

CP5.jpg

CP6.jpg

CP7.jpg

CP8.jpg

horseshoecrab.jpg
wow that pitcher plant is huge! i think i can stick my hand in it ( and watch my hand get digested :lol: )

That is strange. I guess they wanted to include some interesting things in the water feature too. I had a funny thought.... what would really be strange is if they suddenly flapped their shells and flew around like butterflies in there! I can't help these silly thoughts sometimes.
lol! :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe the turtles will flap their flippers and fly out of the water!

Erm...... Our country was colonized by the British for a long long long time. English is part of our life! Also, Malay, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka etc) and Tamil are very well spoken in Malaysia. If you go to Melacca, you can still find some Portuguese speaking family as well.
Right on Chun. Which is why if you go to the cinema in Malaysia, you can see caption on three different languages at the bottom of the screen :D More beetles

beetle3.jpg

beetle4.jpg

beetle5.jpg

beetle1.jpg

Exhibition hall with all the specimen on butterfly (Note: i have no idea who that person is <_< )

butterflyspecimen.jpg

Gecko....

gecko.jpg

Another juvenile alligator snappy

alligator4.jpg

Odd looking plant

oddplant.jpg

Pit viper

snake1.jpg

So there goes the first of the four butterfly farms (there are many more butterfly farms in Malaysia) around the country I will be visiting during this trip. It was a fun trip. i had a chance to tour their breeding center but wasn't allow to take any photo, wished i could share them here too the breeding center is one of its kind and in massive scale!!!

PBFsign.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After the butterfly farm, we went to the Siamese temple where my grandpa ashes is. inside the main temple there lied a huge reclining buddha. The weather was blistering hot so we didn't stay too long.

Entrance

entrance.jpg

entrance1.jpg

Inside the main temple

buddhastature.jpg

me.jpg

recliningb1.jpg

recliningb2.jpg

Other temples surrounding it

temple1.jpg

temple.jpg

temple2.jpg

This little pond has lot of exotic fresh water fish....

stature1.jpg

The popular "four-face god" from Thailand

fourfacegod.jpg

Quite a few golden monks

monk1.jpg

There is also this Burmese temple opposite of the Siamese temple

burmesetemple.jpg

As the majority of the population in Penang state is of Chinese ethnic, there are many buddhist temples and some has turn into tourist area. One of it is the Kek Lok Si temple. By then the temperature reached 40C and i've lost the "mood" on taking more pics although they are lot of nice stature around. Anyway, the following are the surviving fews besides some that were lost

kekloksi5.jpg

kekloksi7.jpg

kekloksi2.jpg

kekloksi1.jpg

kekloksi3.jpg

The temple is way up, we were all tired and since i have been there before we decided to cut the trip short

kekloksi.jpg

Why does the reclining Buddha not look like the big fat guy I usually think of or see?
The "Big Fat Buddha" You usually see is call the Laughing Buddha. In the history of Buddhism, there are tons of different Buddha from different time and place; achieved enlightenment and turn into Buddha.

(P/S: The Buddha that was laying down is call "Sleeping Buddha!")

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts