What I did besides bug hunting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, i spent 90% (or more) of this vacation travelling around (looking for food mainly!) rather than looking for bugs. So this is what i do /where i went for members who are interested in what I was doing besides collecting bugs. My trip was actually cut short to only Hong Kong and Malaysia due to the flu situation (original plan includes Taiwan and China), but also spent couple of days at Macau (last minute inclusion).

Arriving at HOng Kong early morning, me and my family went straight to our favorite breakfast restaurant... Cafe de Coral.

cafe-de-coral1.jpg

i had a simple breakfast as i was more interested in fighting against my jet-lag

cafe-de-coral2.jpg

On the way back home, i couldn't resist this!

turtle.jpg

We stayed at my in_laws home at Mong Kong which is very close to some attractions in Hong Kong.

Bird street is one of it, a place with bird lovers hang around. Here is the entrance

birdst2.jpg

There are also lot of bird dealers with bird of all kind to offer.

birdst4.jpg

i felt sorry for some birds, that cage is way too crowded.

birdst6.jpg

So there are also food for the bird... locust, grasshopper, crickets, katydid, mealworms, etc

birdst3.jpg

birdst1.jpg

and some sourvenier as well

birdst5.jpg

More to come....

Nice pics Yen. I need to visit there someday. I was stationed in Korea for a year and I visited Japan briefly while I was over there.

On the way back home, i couldn't resist this!
turtle.jpg
It's true that when you travel it seems you spend lots of time looking for food, lol! :p What is that in the cups? I'm curious to know. :)

Nice pics of the birds and the park... although I agree, it's sad to see so many birds stuffed into crowded cages like that. Looking forward to seeing more pics! ;)

Awesome, Yen! Those bugs look like good mantis food too.

I didn't know you guys like 大家乐. I personally really like 美心 and a 大快活 somewhere in 中环. Hope you enjoyed your time there!

Nice pics Yen. I need to visit there someday. I was stationed in Korea for a year and I visited Japan briefly while I was over there.
Thanks. Yeah i would love to visit Korea one day. Same as you i have only been to Japan briefly.

It's true that when you travel it seems you spend lots of time looking for food, lol! :p What is that in the cups? I'm curious to know. :) Nice pics of the birds and the park... although I agree, it's sad to see so many birds stuffed into crowded cages like that. Looking forward to seeing more pics! ;)
Yup Becky and now i need to lose all those pounds bummer!

The stuff in the cup is made of grass jelly and the powderised turtle shell ( :blink: ha ha!), it is bitter so usually we get a cup of honey too.

Awesome, Yen! Those bugs look like good mantis food too. I didn't know you guys like 大家乐. I personally really like 美心 and a 大快活 somewhere in 中环. Hope you enjoyed your time there!
Went to MX or Maxims (美心) too, love them both really :)

Just a few blocks away, there is this flower street. The entire block full of booths/stores selling flowers of all kind.

flowerst1.jpg

flowerst2.jpg

BUt i was mainly attracted to the cannivorous plant B)

flowerst4.jpg

Some of them as big as the size of a human head. they are about $11-$15 each pot

flowerst5.jpg

flowerst3.jpg

Near by there is also a shopping heaven for ladies.. which is why the street is name Ladies' Street

womanst1.jpg

I wasn't interested in shopping... but can't resist food

womanst2.jpg

Next to the Ladies street is the popular Mong Kok Goldfish Market/street with some exotic tropica and marine fish offer for a good price. i felt like visiting an aquarium after walking by the entire street :lol:

fishst1.jpg

fishst2.jpg

fishst3.jpg

Awesome, Yen! Those bugs look like good mantis food too. I didn't know you guys like 大家乐. I personally really like 美心 and a 大快活 somewhere in 中环. Hope you enjoyed your time there!
Haha! Rice burgers? Hong Kong's answer to MacDonald's (though actually Coral opened in Hong Kong about a decade before MacDonald's)!!

So Ogiga, what are those foreign squiggles, anyway? Arabic? :D

Are those turtles alligator snapping turtles? I have one that looks just like them.
Those are common snappy, not the alligator. But they also have the alligator snappy too they hid so well i can't get a pic. I will show pic of the alligator snappy taken from Penang butterfly farm later in this thread. those are pretty amazing creatures.

Those are common snappy, not the alligator. But they also have the alligator snappy too they hid so well i can't get a pic. I will show pic of the alligator snappy taken from Penang butterfly farm later in this thread. those are pretty amazing creatures.
The worm like appendage attached to the tong is really cool.

Sounds like me, always looking for food. :lol: Can't wait for more pics. Glad your back safe.
Haha! i hope you have hyper metabolism to burn all the calories from the food :D

Actually i forgot about taking some pics of really nice food because by the time i remember it is all in my stomach :lol: :D nevertheless, i will still have more food photos to come later in this thread... stay tune :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those turtles alligator snapping turtles? I have one that looks just like them.
They appear to be. THe three keels on the carapace is your clue. Very sad to see them there. No offense but they should not be kept as pets for most people. Largest freshwater turltes in the world. They need a HUGE enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
They appear to be. THe three keels on the carapace is your clue. Very sad to see them there. No offense but they should not be kept as pets for most people. Largest freshwater turltes in the world. They need a HUGE enclosure.
Ah Rick thanks for pointing it out. The one with its head stick out of water is Alligator snappy, but the other two at the bottom are common snappy. yup it is sad i know these creatures will most likely die unless someone bought them (assuming the buyer actually knows how to take care of them) and place in larger pond. The alligaotr snappy here are just babies but will grow into a giant as adult.

Ah Rick thanks for pointing it out. The one with its head stick out of water is Alligator snappy, but the other two at the bottom are common snappy. yup it is sad i know these creatures will most likely die unless someone bought them (assuming the buyer actually knows how to take care of them) and place in larger pond. The alligaotr snappy here are just babies but will grow into a giant as adult.
That they do Yen. Where I grew up they are found wild. 300 lbs has been known. Nobody except maybe a zoo has business with something like that.

Haha! i hope you have hyper metabolism to burn all the calories from the food :D Actually i forgot about taking some pics of really nice food because by the time i remember it is all in my stomach :lol: :D nevertheless, i will still have more food photos to come later in this thread... stay tune :)
If I exercise I can eat mass quantities, and often do, even at thirty six! Although it has slowed a little I guess.

Latest posts