What Instar is my Deroplatys Desiccata?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezie

Reaction score
I don't know how old Cinco is! My guess is L6 but I have nothing to compare that to. She's my first mantis, I've had her since January. I bought her at the local pet store, which is an awesome business full of animal experts. They knew more about inverts than I did, but still not as knowledgeable as you guys. They sold her to me as a Deroplatys Lobata, which I later learned on my own wasn't correct.

Using my hand for scale, is it possible to tell what instar she is? Keep in mind, I'm pretty petite. Or if anyone else has pictures of their giant dead leaf mantises for me to compare to, that would be cool too. Cinco's being camera shy and won't face my phone right now, but I assure you she's very cute.

cin2.JPG

cin1.jpg

cin3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea on the instar haha, sorry, but I just wanted to say that she is very cute and your pet store must really be awesome if they were selling those.

@Ocelotbren Thanks! I don't know what part of Michigan you're from, but if you get the chance you should check out Preuss Pets in Lansing. It's a beautiful shop in Lansing that mostly specializes in exotics, aquariums and birds. There's even a stream running through the store with koi in it! They do occasionally carry mantids, millipedes, spiders and other crawly things, but the selection varies. I'm just happy to have somewhere close by that carries a huge variety of feeder insects too.

Latest posts