What is protruding from its rear?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimama

Reaction score
Im new at this and raising a few mantises from an egg case. This is the second time I saw this protruding from what looked to be the same part that some black stuff (poop) came out. This has been there for 24 hours. It is two translucent, yellowish spheres with a black dot in the center. I dont know if it is anything to worry about but it is not resent in the other 5  that I have kept. rear end.JPG

I am wondering if I could have pulled out some of its intestines by removing the poop that was sticking out.

Can you get a better picture? When I tried to zoom in to look at what was coming out it just looks blurry. I can't tell what is going on back there.

When you removed the feces was it stuck? Did you use a bit of force to remove it? If so then yes, you could have prolapsed the anus. Usually you don't have to remove poop even if it is stuck, it may eventually fall off on its own, the mantis could remove it or the next piece of poop will push it out. The only reason you'd need to remove it yourself is if the poop is blocking the ability of the mantis to poop further...but even then you don't just pull it off. First, you would apply warm water for several minutes with a Q-tip to soften it then using the Q-tip very gently try to push it off but don't force it. If it doesn't come off apply more warm water, patience is the key here.

How is your mantis doing now? Does the rear still look the same? Is it able to eat and poop?

Thanks so much for your response, predator housepet! Im not sure if she has been eating. There is something black coming out again. She seems to have a wilted look like she is not well, or dehydrated. She has been hanging upside down and  her abdomen has been "folded" or hanging down and you can almost see a crease in the last picture in the segment right behind her/his  rear leg where it was folded.

Yes, I think I made a big mistake to pull at the poop. I'll never do that again!  I hope he/she doesnt die. Let me know if you can see the anus more clearly. Im just using a phone camera.

IMG_8705.JPG

IMG_8707.JPG

IMG_8710.JPG

IMG_8711.JPG

The folded appearance might be something called "droop butt"  It is not harmful it just looks funny. This thread talks about it more and has some ideas how to prevent it. 

If your mantis looks dehydrated consider offering some drops of water to see if it will drink. If not, just mist the enclosure so that there are water droplets on the sides it can drink from later if it chooses. You might also want to try feeding some honey diluted with just enough water to take away the stickiness if your mantis seems sluggish. It can give a sick mantis a boost of energy. If you can't tell if she is eating the insects you put in her enclosure try hand feeding live prey with tweezers. If she won't accept then you can try tearing a larger insect into pieces so the bug's insides are coming out then hold the bug goo to the mantis's mouth so she can taste it. Usually they will start eating & eventually try to take it from you but you may have to hold it for her while she eats.

Even though it looks like the anus may indeed be prolapsed it seems like the mantis is still able to poop, at least that is what I think the black stuff is. Its hard to know for sure from just pictures. I don't know if a prolapsed anus is always fatal for a mantis or not, I've never dealt with it personally but I know it can be fatal. Here is a long discussion about a mantis with a prolapsed anus with a picture you can compare yours to.

Thanks so much Predatorhousepet!  The stream on prolapse was very very interesting and your advice very helpful. I shall try the honey and an extra watering. Usually I spray the netting of the cage twice a day.

Latest posts