what is the actual size when you say L1 or L5

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pham

Reaction score
sorry for the newby question but i don't have a clue to this. try to look it up and haven't gotten any real answer. i mean is L1 size about a 1/4 inches long?

thanks for any answer coming.

Bill

sorry for the newby question but i don't have a clue to this. try to look it up and haven't gotten any real answer. i mean is L1 size about a 1/4 inches long?thanks for any answer coming.

Bill
Actually that refers to the age. L1 meaning just hatched, L2 has molted once, L3 twice, and so on. The size will vary with the species.

Kirk

Actually that refers to the age. L1 meaning just hatched, L2 has molted once, L3 twice, and so on. The size will vary with the species.Kirk
thanks Kirk for the info. so i was totally wrong go figure. so how long does it take to molts between stages?

Bill

thanks Kirk for the info. so i was totally wrong go figure. so how long does it take to molts between stages?Bill
Depends on the species, but usually at the beginning (L1) they molt to L2 rather fast, around 3-7 days time. The molts slowly increase within a gradual timespan (L2 to L3 around 7-12 days, etc.), and the last molt may even take about 2-3 months or a year for some species.

Your two threads are on the wrong forum. This forum is meant to post questions regarding the actual mechanics of the forum.Just a heads up...
it says general mantid discussion ..hes asking a Q about a mantid. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks folks. just trying to learn the amount of time i can expect for the to molts. i had mine for two weeks now and they are getting bigger just wanted to make sure when they molt i be there to take some pics.

Bill

Latest posts