What is the fastest breeding cockroach?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake7917

big gamer
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what the fastest breeding feeder roach is. I’ve heard lobsters are, along with dubia and Germans. Just curious to what roaches have bred the fastest for different people.

agent A, do you prefer lobsters over lats? Some folks think lats elicit a better feeding reflex. They're also more potentially invasive I hear. I'm leaning more in the lobster direction at the moment.

Lobsters do climb plastic if you weren't aware. So, if you do start a colony, be prepared to create a proper setup. I personally like lats myself since they're soft and don't climb plastic. As long as they're contained, I do not think you would have a problem with starting a colony of them.

Lobsters do climb plastic if you weren't aware. So, if you do start a colony, be prepared to create a proper setup. I personally like lats myself since they're soft and don't climb plastic. As long as they're contained, I do not think you would have a problem with starting a colony of them.
Yup. I was aware of the lobster's climbing abilities. That might not be a bad thing since mantises often hang from the top of the enclosure. Lobster roaches might climb up to them. Either that or just play dead near the bottom. The tarantula folks seem to think highly of lats.

Yup. I was aware of the lobster's climbing abilities. That might not be a bad thing since mantises often hang from the top of the enclosure. Lobster roaches might climb up to them. Either that or just play dead near the bottom. The tarantula folks seem to think highly of lats.
my tarantulas eat lobster roaches like it's nobody's business!

I like the Red runners. I think they help in eliciting a better feeding reflex for some mantises. The Lobster roaches are flat to the ground and so I guess are not as eye catching to some species of mantises as the Red runners. Also, I like that the Red runners don't climb slick plastic or glass, so that I don't have to use petroleum jelly on the rim of their containers to keep them from climbing out. The Red runners might be somewhat cold hardy, too. They are from North Africa and Central Asia. And now they are invasive in the Southwest US. I need a roach that breeds well and is cold hardy because my mom won't let me keep roaches in the home.

Here are some descriptions from the Roach Crossing:

Nauphoeta cinerea (Lobster Roach):
This roach has made a name for itself due to itself incredibly fast, steady reproduction, softness, and palatability. Although this species can climb, it’s fairly bad at it and is easily stopped by a slick barrier. Females can give birth to over forty babies. This is probably the easiest roach to care for: all that’s needed is a container, something to hide under, and food! Heating will dramatically increase reproduction.

Shelfordella lateralis (Red Runner, Turkistan, etc.):
One of the best feeders out there, the Turkistan roach is easy to care for and just the right size. The adults and nymphs cannot climb glass, but the adult males can fly. Adult females are dark purple with small wings, and produce dozens of ootheca over their lifetime. A good substrate and high temperatures will ensure a nearly endless supply of nymphs.

Oxyhaloa deusta (Red-Head Roach):
A quick breeder, this species compensates for its lack of size with its breeding speed and colors; adults and older nymphs are a mysterious dark plum color with reddish-orange heads. The elytra are covered in long, arching hairs (visible with good magnification from the side). When pestered, the adults release a defensive odor highly reminiscent of garlic bread. High humidity with good ventilation, plenty of hiding places, and crowded hiding places will keep this species breeding at optimal levels.

You won't believe this, but here it goes. ANY THAT GETS LOOSE IN YOUR HOUSE! LOL
Rebecca,

This is what Kyle at the Roach Crossing says about German Roaches (Blattella germanica):

"Yes, this is the infamous German roach. After years of propagating and accidentally crashing my colony of this species, I can offer the insight that a pest is only as bad as the conditions that led to its enumeration. In a typical, cleanly house, there is little chance of this species becoming strongly established. However, this species can easily infest the favorable micro climates created for raising other roaches as well as vivarium and aquarium equipment. Keep at your own risk, but sleep soundly knowing the risk of drowning in a sea of German roaches is incredibly low. These roaches do breed like roaches!"

Apparently, Kyle was never in our kitchen back in New Jersey. :D

That is a patently false statement that is only funny to ignorant insect haters.
I've heard conflicting reports about Shelfordella lateralis Orin. Some say that it's only potentially invasive if you happen to live in Florida. However, I think it was Kyle who once said that some escaped lats managed to establish a foothold around his hot water pipes. I believe Kyle's up in Michigan which is obviously a very temperate region. What's been your experience?

I'm not overly upset by the joke, but I was pointing out not everybody finds ignorant cockroach jokes hilarious. Very few cockroaches can survive in human dwellings. As to your question I've not let go anything on purpose or accident so I would not know. I imagine tropical species of various things might survive a temperate climate by sheltering on human-produced heat, but only if they had a mechanism to search it out for winter.