What is your/ your mantid's favorite grub?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quake

Reaction score
I want everyone to share what feeder insects they like best and why.

House Flies

Blue Bottle Flies

Meal worms/ Super worms

Crickets

Etc

Bluebottles and crickets and any insect I can find outside.

There are a lot of them in my garden. They aren't very beautiful. Just plain white or yellow. When they lay their eggs they turn into caterpilars and eat my dads plants. So I get them before they lay eggs. (I think)

Someone's going to get me for this... haha, but...

Feeder goldfish because they are the cheapest ($/gram), can come in small quantities, very available, doesn't take much to acquire, and doesn't run away.

Someone's going to get me for this... haha, but...Feeder goldfish because they are the cheapest ($/gram), can come in small quantities, very available, doesn't take much to acquire, and doesn't run away.
lmao, you did that on purpose.

Fruit flies for nymphs

Crickets for larger nymphs and adults

and superworms for the Larger greedier ones

Very simple. I do feed them flies and each other every so often. BTW, I feed them each other only when I have a greedy pregnant female and a dying, dead, or repeatedly mated male.

mine like fish too, only they are so hard to catch and hang onto, do u drop yours in and let them wiggle or what? also (dear God, I forgot what I was going to ask as I was typing it :( ) Oh, got it now... not a question though! I wanted to feed mine some tadpoles, but can't seem to catch them, we have a bunch of little frogs, but the grandkids caught 10 of them last time they were here, and they were so tiny and cute, we let them go :lol: , but tadpoles are ugly so I could do that if I could figure out how.

mine like fish too, only they are so hard to catch and hang onto, do u drop yours in and let them wiggle or what? also (dear God, I forgot what I was going to ask as I was typing it :( ) Oh, got it now... not a question though! I wanted to feed mine some tadpoles, but can't seem to catch them, we have a bunch of little frogs, but the grandkids caught 10 of them last time they were here, and they were so tiny and cute, we let them go :lol: , but tadpoles are ugly so I could do that if I could figure out how.
I got a lot of tadpoles. Would the mantid like it? Would it be okay to feed it to a mantid?

Oh, the irony. :lol:

I consider frogs (including tadpoles) more "evolved" than goldfish. Not sure how relevant that is to anyone.

I usually just catch them things outside, but it is getting cold around here, so I am trying out meal worms.

Well I'm just gonna have to 1 up the tadpoles......Lizards.....just adds an etra spring in there step :lol:

In all seriousness though i'd have to say buterflies and other flying insect (fly's for the youngens).

Last edited by a moderator:
Flies, grasshoppers, waxworms from time to time. We stopt feeding crickets and switched to flies! Mostly because crickets are just grose :(

Latest posts