What Mantid To Try???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEV83

Reaction score
Okay so I have been doing some reading on these on watch several videos on them through YouTube but now I can't decide which would be best to start off with. I see that the Chinese and Carolina ooth's are readily available but I have seen ghost, flower (C. pictipennis) and New Zealand oh and Budwing. Which would be best in your opinions for a starter like myself.

I have owned various pets in my life from Goldfish in a little tank as a kid to now owning a 135 gallon with various pleco's. I have also at one point owned some pet Brown Widow Spiders and for a short time some Cave Crickets which I found in my yard which was odd since this is a highly residential neighborhood so no cave near by lol. I tried my hand at some ant's as a kid as well but learned they don't live long without a queen.

Now being older I wanna try this hobby out again but with more research and advice. Tried Chinese Mantids before but they didn't fair so well. I now believe they didn't have enough moisture in there tank. Just assumed they got there moisture from the food they ate for the most part which I now know is not the case. Misting is required (more misting for some then others) for them to drink.

I don't think you can go wrong starting out with a bud wing or an Indian flower mantid. To me ghosts aren't a great choice for a beginner. They grow slowly and are often picky eaters. God luck with what ever you choose.

I'd recommend a budwing or one of the Sphodromantis species.

Interesting. The seems to be allot of different mantids in the Sphodromantis family. Haven't seen these available anywhere though. Gonna see about obtaining the Budwing read a bit on them and they seem to be really temperamental which seems to make them very non picky eaters. Gonna do some more reading on this one and the Indian Flower Mantis. I will also have to look into the Sphodromantis family in more detail. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts