What mantis should I get?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seal36

Reaction score
I have a tank space that has opened up and I'm wanting to put a new mantis in there so what mantis should I go for and why?

image.jpg

You cant keep any mantid in there until it is older, all nymphs will be too small until much later, but for the size a Sphodromantis would be perfect (Giant African Mantis)

I agree that is way too big for any nymphs,they wont be able to find/catch food as easily,which could lead to starvation.As for adults you could house just about any kind of mantis in there.Ghosts seem to be fairly easy to care for,but don't get too big,so really its your choice what type of mantis you want,but be sure to look up its habitat type,so you can try and match it as close as possible.

Thanks the tank dimensions are 30cm high and 20cm deep and wide. I like orchid mantids but I also like cryptic and ghost mantis which one do you think would do better in that tank size. I am going to clean out the tank before the mantis goes in and obviously set it up to there needs from Tom

Dimension wise, and product image, it must be the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Nano/Tall (20 x 20 x 30 cm / 8” x 8” x 12” (WxDxH)). Not sure why this is such a popular tank to be honest - other than the fact it's one of the few choices at a pet store.

As mentioned mantis nymphs should not be kept in the tank but for other reasons too... they may escape through the ventilation holes (especially the first few instar stages) - definitely any feeder insects they would eat, such as fruit flies and even crickets seem to escape without a problem through the ventilation holes in front, and the screen top (fruit flies anyways from the top). I've read many other feeder escape posts, but looking here often they do not mention the product name like you didn't either, so they are lost in the other posts.

It's recommended for mantises you have a habitat that is 3 times their length for height and 2 times their length for width. In that regard that means you can house a mantis that is up to 4" maximum. So that allows the majority of mantises to be housed in the habitat (except larger species such as Polyspilota griffinii, and Idolomantis diabolica).

The species you mentioned would work great. The orchid fits perfect, as a 20x20x30cm is the ideal size habitat. I'm partial to Ghosts and would recommend them though. ;)

Dimension wise, and product image, it must be the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Nano/Tall (20 x 20 x 30 cm / 8” x 8” x 12” (WxDxH)). Not sure why this is such a popular tank to be honest - other than the fact it's one of the few choices at a pet store.

As mentioned mantis nymphs should not be kept in the tank but for other reasons too... they may escape through the ventilation holes (especially the first few instar stages) - definitely any feeder insects they would eat, such as fruit flies and even crickets seem to escape without a problem through the ventilation holes in front, and the screen top (fruit flies anyways from the top). I've read many other feeder escape posts, but looking here often they do not mention the product name like you didn't either, so they are lost in the other posts.

It's recommended for mantises you have a habitat that is 3 times their length for height and 2 times their length for width. In that regard that means you can house a mantis that is up to 4" maximum. So that allows the majority of mantises to be housed in the habitat (except larger species such as Polyspilota griffinii, and Idolomantis diabolica).

The species you mentioned would work great. The orchid fits perfect, as a 20x20x30cm is the ideal size habitat. I'm partial to Ghosts and would recommend them though. ;)
I've actually been looking at that exact tank... do you have a better recommendation for a tank with the same dimensions?

Personally I don't think "tanks" are good for mantis. Myself I prefer either screen cages or net cages or critter keeper type set ups for bigger mantids.

I've actually been looking at that exact tank... do you have a better recommendation for a tank with the same dimensions?
Well I have to say the majority of options include some DIY work, at least a bit of hot glue gun work and some fine screen mesh. In that regard a fine mesh screen could also be added to the Exo Terra tank as well in the ventilation openings to stop escapes; however, you could save a small fortune by taking on one of the simple DIY project containers below.

The only one I have found that is move in ready for a mantis is one available from Rebecca at MantisPlace. It is a X large Hex habitat and measures in at 12" x 10".

A popular option is the Petco Pet Keeper, which comes in a 11.75" L X 7.75" W X 8" H size. Just cover the large top slotted openings with a screen mesh and you are good to go.

For a aquarium type tank setup, a 3 to 5 gallon tank will be the best bet for the size. Tank wise a 5 gallon typically measures at 17" x 9" x 11" (43.2cm x 22.9cm x 27.9cm) (LxDxH) and most 3 gallons would be closer to the 12"x8" size. The lid is the DIY part, which can be made from a accurate cut plywood lid with mesh sections and a handle (Lowe's, Home Depot, and others will cut if for you for a usually a small charge of a couple dollars at most). Or a lid can be made from mesh screen and a small frame to hold the mesh in place.

Walmart carries many great plastic boxes that will work great, and is often the solution many keepers settle on. Online the best I can find is the Sterilite 7.2 Quart Modular Latch Box which measures 11.0 x 7.875 x 7.5. Most Walmart's have more available in the store than online, and are sold individually.

A true DIY project would be to get glass cut for the tank (cheapest price is glass) and glue it together - but the lid would be made from screen mesh or acrylic/plexiglass so you can cut mesh holes and a feeding hole. For safety and strength acrylic or plexiglass can be cut and used instead for all the walls. Once again Lowe's, Home Depot, and others will cut if for you for a few dollars more - I've had it done a few times myself and the cost was under $5 extra, just be sure to check the sizes before you leave (as some employees may not know what they are doing).

If you go that route the best option to finish it off is the acrylic hardware - such as hinges, latches, and screened openings. One source for the hardware is Jamie's Tarantulas.

Latest posts