What NOT to feed mantids.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have any reason or experience, but I would be scared the slime could cause problems. Maybe even drown them. I wont feed mine earthworms or slugs or anything slimy like that until I have video evidence its fine.

Does anyone know of a reason not to feed earthworms? I have a nearly unlimited supply of them from a compost bin at work.

Does anyone know of a reason not to feed earthworms? I have a nearly unlimited supply of them from a compost bin at work.
I dont have any reason or experience, but I would be scared the slime could cause problems. Maybe even drown them. I wont feed mine earthworms or slugs or anything slimy like that until I have video evidence its fine.
Doesn't Earth Warm have soil in them ,... not sure if is a good diet for mantis ..

Red wigglers (feotida ) a common composting worm sometimes produce a toxin that will send a garter snake into convulsions and sometimes death. Garter keepers avoid them and stick to nightcrawlers- its not worth the risk even with worm eating species.

Red wigglers (feotida ) a common composting worm sometimes produce a toxin that will send a garter snake into convulsions and sometimes death. Garter keepers avoid them and stick to nightcrawlers- its not worth the risk even with worm eating species.
So would you say nightcrawlers are ok then? Or still a risk?

Mantids do not breath through there mouths. They breath through species holes on the sides of there abdomens.

Well, if there's a convulsing worm whipping around and it manages to cover a breathing hole, suffocation could happen.

However, that chance is VERY slim, since that area is often protected by wings, and the probability of the worm hitting it in the right place is not very common.

do they get big enough to handle crickets alright? I dont want them getting hurt because I gave them food that was too big for them.
my ghost male was able to eat small crickets at L6. he once ate a fully grown adult cricket at subadult. :eek: but they can get kind of "sick" of crickets (both meanings) so only feed if you have NO flies or moths.

Ladybirds, adult Zophobas morio, millipedes (not centipedes) - because of toxin they contain. All Carabidae, they stink too much. Probably Argiope aurantia, for the same reason (I didn't try this species, it lives southward). Scarabeidae, their chitin is too hard.

Spiders, Hymenoptera, Hemiptera, Dermaptera, Neuroptera are being taken well despite poison or defencive odor they have.

Latest posts