What Sex is My Orchid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole 78

Reaction score
@Graceface

nqnWOKM.jpg

tD4i2qr.jpg

22Yt2IP.jpg

EetsAod.jpg

PhABuxI.jpg

3oeZZQN.jpg

0MKrPh8.jpg

FdvsA7Y.jpg

TTb9xCt.jpg

a8RMLnG.jpg

a8RMLnG.jpg

8gKEGqa.jpg

Sorry about the bad pics, these were taken in a hurry. I'm planning on fattening him/her up to better define the segments on the abdomen, then I will take some pics.

@Graceface I fattened her up to get better pics of her abdominal segments. Does she still look like a female? I sure hope she is...

cK1r0qm.jpg

T89GEnd.jpg

2qWnili.jpg

qRSdJJj.jpg

VffUX4X.jpg

ZBqOESN.jpg

kDWOjgK.jpg

XuMqh58.jpg

tueH68o.jpg

When I zoom in on the color band, it looks green. I would give it a few days, though. The only true test is time. 
Ok thank you so much! I am 99% positive it's a female since in person the color brand is super bright green, my camera just doesn't pick it up. I also count 6 segments in the abdomen. Also, I PM'ed you.

I would say it is a male due to the lack of V notch on very last segment. Time will tell, hope it does turn out female for you!

Another factor that makes me think it's a female: it's already larger than max size of a male.

Thanks lol. These are some of my worst pics, I have my better pics in my journal in mantid photos.
No, I know that. But, your level of photo quality is higher than most you see in posts. Is it a macro lens that allows that, or manual operation? I dont know about photography, just have a skim off the top level of understanding.

I still find that the V notch is the best way to sex, but here is a helpful graphic.

21153BFB-3C86-4579-AD52-32B264B7DFC4.jpeg

No, I know that. But, your level of photo quality is higher than most you see in posts. Is it a macro lens that allows that, or manual operation? I dont know about photography, just have a skim off the top level of understanding.
Well there is quite a bit to getting good pictures. The number one thing, even before a good camera is, lighting.  If you have the best $10,000  camera, without 3-4 lamps, your a goner. My level of photo quality is higher than most because of A. Lighting. B. Experience C.Skill D. A OK camera (believe it or not my camera setup is about as cheap as it gets in the macro photography world 😂) E. A very high optical zoom F. A clip on x2.5 macro lens (not a DSLR macro lens, mine is a point and shoot) G. Lighting H. Lighting I. Lighting J. Lighting

Lol yeah lighting is key. Also I have crazy insane optical zoom reaching x65 and I have additional digital zoom reaching x210. It can get very clear footage of the MOON! The Raynox DCR-250 macro lens is more like a beefed up magnifying glass, it crispers my photos and gives some added zoom. Also, I got some skillz. Lol. PM if you want to know my setup or anything else.

The collar color can change which is why I don’t base my sexing decision on that. The V notch on the last segment (the segment labeled “1” in your picture) does not change and it is only present in females. It can be very difficult to see with the younger instars. Here’s a photo of one of mine at L3-L4, horrible photo quality unlike yours, but you can still clearly see a V notch which I don’t see in your photos.

E90F2608-60FD-438A-B316-4908BF650F91.jpeg

Oh, OK... well I’m gonna take some pics at L5 to confirm, once she/he becomes L5 that is. Thanks.

Latest posts