What size enclosure may I keep an ooth to hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venom

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an ooth, but how much space is necessary for these guys?

Will it be normal for a couple not to make it like other inverts?

Is cannibalization inavoidable?

I'm thinking of buying an ooth, but how much space is necessary for these guys?Will it be normal for a couple not to make it like other inverts?

What species are you planning on buying?

Yes.

If kept together, then yes. It will vary depending on the species and how much you feed them.

What species are you planning on buying?Yes.

If kept together, then yes. It will vary depending on the species and how much you feed them.
Chinese.

Is cannibilaztion looked down upon in the hobby?

I mean, I don't think I'll be able to get 100 seperate containers

u can house most species from hatching to 1st shed with none of them eating each other..As long as u have plenty of food in the tanki use these.

back right.see the big jars?i have damp medium at the bottom of the jar with netting and elastic band over the top. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/227346...726982ca1_o.jpg
Would these be okay? If not, what if I split half the brood in one, half in the other (Magazine for reference)

DSC02346.jpg

Would these be okay? If not, what if I split half the brood in one, half in the other (Magazine for reference)
DSC02346.jpg
thats what i hatched my chinese mantids in..soon as they hatch tho u would have to separate them..400 nymphs dont house to well in a container that size.then soon as they hatch try separating 400 from 1 cup to the next..your loose loads all over the floor..when u try to get 1 out they will all get out.thats what i was thinking a bigger jar would be better,.

2347338979_b3fd269b67_o.jpg

omg LOL I had that scorpion transformer toy !! :lol: :lol: , memories!
I sadly rebought my favorite onces for the nostalgia. :unsure:

My father threw away ALL my toys when I left to Mexico for a month back in 98. :angry:

thats what i hatched my chinese mantids in..soon as they hatch tho u would have to separate them..400 nymphs dont house to well in a container that size.then soon as they hatch try separating 400 from 1 cup to the next..your loose loads all over the floor..when u try to get 1 out they will all get out.thats what i was thinking a bigger jar would be better,.
2347338979_b3fd269b67_o.jpg
So it's okay for hatching, correct?

Right when they hatch I'll seperate them in to three or four other containers.

I don't really want a lot, can I release some? Since they are technically meant to be used as pest controll.

I'll keep maybe 30 and we'll se who makes it out of those.

I'm thinking of buying an ooth, but how much space is necessary for these guys?Will it be normal for a couple not to make it like other inverts?

I personally don't mind cannibalism, as long as you don't breed them for that sole purpose. In fact, it was my uncle who had 15 S. carolina nymphs fighting in a bowl, "The Arena of Sports", that got me interested in mantids. First time I've ever seen one in person...memories :rolleyes:

So it's okay for hatching, correct?Right when they hatch I'll seperate them in to three or four other containers.

I don't really want a lot, can I release some? Since they are technically meant to be used as pest controll.

I'll keep maybe 30 and we'll se who makes it out of those.
Perfect for hatching but I transfer mine to a huge, mesh bug tent. You can find them online or sometimes in discount stores sold as laundry hampers. They don't require a substrate, just frequent misting. They shed from the sides of the tent and yes they eat each other but leave them to it until L5. You'll be down to maybe twenty. Then I put them in modified Ball jars and if you're lucky if you have a half dozen make it to adulthood. They have a huge mortality rate, a week from now you'll have only half as many as you have now. But you'll learn so much and they are really fun. I always keep them - feel free to PM me if you want to hear more of my Chinese yada, yada, yada.

i had 400 hatch..3 days later i only had about 100 left..lol.they all drop dead for no reson.your see when yours hatches,

When or how can you determine that an unhatched ooth is never going to hatch? I have two I. Lateralis ooths which haven't grown or changed color since I received them weeks ago. Do I just wait it out?

When or how can you determine that an unhatched ooth is never going to hatch? I have two I. Lateralis ooths which haven't grown or changed color since I received them weeks ago. Do I just wait it out?
Anyone have an answer to this? :mellow: Maybe someone who has hatched I. Lateralis before?

Few species ooths show any change when they are about to hatch so dont give up on them, especiealy if u've only had em for a couple of weeks

how much height does a ghost ooth need to hatch safely? its in a two inch high container now but im worried they will go down their strings , touch the bottom and get deformed

how much height does a ghost ooth need to hatch safely? its in a two inch high container now but im worried they will go down their strings , touch the bottom and get deformed
i have my ghost ooth about 2.5 inchs from the bottom./.its in a 32oz deli cup.if its 2inchs from the bottom it wil be fine.

Latest posts