what species is this ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwl

Reaction score
just found this lil ET in my house.

wonder wat species he/she belongs to?

DSC01962.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you live? I can't tell for sure with that pic. Definitely not chinese or european. But it does look like a male.

this lil thing is a great flyer....and yes , he is a male,cause there are 8 segment under his belly.

i m from malaysia by the way..

is it a common species in malaysia if it is?

any extra care i need to take notice???

tomorrow i will post up his new home pic here....

Yes, it seems common in Malaysia. I have seen plenty of pics of these guys from people who either live there, or just go there to hunt mantids. I once owned Statilia parva The marking on the inside of it's claws are a dead give away. They required no special care, if i recall correctly?

They do not need any special care to be exact. These mantids that you have is Statilia maculata and I have breed them. They may only be attracted to flying bugs like flies or damselfies. They could also eat some non flying insects like a Grasshopper nymph (Pull out one of the grasshopper's and the let the green fluid come out, one the mantis drinks the fluid it will start attackking the grasshopper and devour it) In my expirience, they would only eat twice a day, day and night. A large cage with sprayed water is highly reccomend as this little species needs efficient humidity and big space as it only hunts succesfully if it is hanging upside down.

I hope this helps you :)

Latest posts